What is an mcse worth?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by immoral giant, Jan 28, 2006.

1. immoral giant

immoral giant Nibble Poster

I've been fortunate enough to get a job in IT straight from leaving school...at my school.

I haven't got around to doing any exams yet, but was wondering what would be seen as more important for a new job in the future?

Would the experience be worth more or the exams? Either way I am going to carry on with the job but just considering whether its worth taking the exams?

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd go for experience *and* the exams. Your WIP looks to be about right.

Nobody expects you to have experience straight out of school - so keeping at this job for a year or so will look good on your CV.

The fact that you went and got some certs at the same time would be even better!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, Harry gave a pretty good answer. Mine answer would be: It depends on how much effort you put into getting that MCSE. If you braindump it: not much. If you earn it: quite a bit.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Good question, personally a bloody lot. I worked damn hard for it and feel the worth of working so hard to get it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. immoral giant

I've already got A+ and N+ books, just to do the exams. Just that the MCSE is very expensive once you add everything up. I think I will find out if work will pay for it.

As I said i've already got a technicians job and the things that come up in the test exams hardly come up in the business. Most problems aren't covered.

But if it's best to do exams as well, it's going to be a situation of costs.

Thanks for the replies

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

True, if you download some dodgy .pdfs then it will take the shine off your MCSE. Study for it the honest way and you will gain some new skills. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The certifications are not as important as the knowledge you gain. It is the knowledge that matters to me, the certs are just pieces of paper but knowledge is power!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

im presuming you about 19 or 20 - if im right then i think you in the BEST place you could be... you getting entry-level experience to back up your 'entry-level' certs (which comptia says they are) in a year from now you will be one year older and a year wiser too which will help you alot in your MCSE. Im your age too (if im correct) and in my first IT role (7 months now) and i appreciate the fact that im starting at rock bottom cause there are guys out there double my age trying hard to get into IT!

As for the value to your MCSE its like the guys have said if you braindump it will be worthless if you work hard in your lab in your spare time it only makes you shine! I think after a year or two in a support role you would have a better chance of finding a job with your MCSE than now...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. immoral giant

Just turned 18. Been working as an IT Technician for 4 months now. I've read that the A+ is equal to 6 months on the job experience. But when you are working IT then look at the questions that you are given, most of the points are irrelevant.

What I was thinking was if an employer had the choice of 2 people one with the certs and no experience and someone with lots of experience but with no certs, which would get priority?

Although I am happy to carry on with this job, the pay is low.

But if my employers pay for the exams then I think it is highly likely that I will go ahead and do the exams as I would have nothing to lose. But the amount i'm earning plus all my other expenses, I really don't have a lot of money for books and the test. As well as cash for some spare machines as the 2 that I have are used a lot.

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

your pay will be low..im not going to lie im in the same situation.. because im so 'young' i get a smaller salary yet i do exactly the same job.. infact (fingers crossed) ill be the only MCP by next week! we all have to start from somewhere and then get to the top with alot of hard work! :biggrin

As to your question i think experience.. onbody will even let you touch a server without experiece.. you would end up in support again with a mcse.. my advice stay where you are.. get a cert or two done.. start your mcsa/e slowly then look for something with networks and servers...

11. ffreeloader

Really? What have you found that is irrelevant?

12. immoral giant

Just basic things like knowing that 10Base2 networks use BNC connectors and the transfer speeds of USB and firewire and things like that. Those are the kind of things that you don't really need to know.

But that may just be because of the work I am doing.

@zimbo - I am working with the servers and network. We have around 300 desktops as well as 150 laptops with around 1800 users.

13. ffreeloader

So, if you walked into a place where they had an older network in place you wouldn't need to know any of these things? You'd know how?

What it sounds to me like you are doing is saying that "I don't need to know this in my current job". That's not saying that on an industry-wide basis that this knowledge isn't valuable. You need to distinguish between the two.

14. hbroomhall

Excactly. You have only been in one job so far, and that doesn't require you to know about these things.

When and if you move to another job you will find the mix of hardware and software to be different, so requiring different knowledge.

While A+ may be a little old, it covers *most* things fairly well. You would be surprised just how much of that will be usefull at some point.

As an example, only in the last couple of months have I been able to replace an important machine in our department running NT4. Before now "there were no spare resources for this".

Harry.

15. immoral giant

I guess, didn't really think about it that way.

16. hbroomhall

No probs. We are all learning, and some of us are trying to point the way forward! :biggrin

Harry.

17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

From the Microsoft site for the windows Xp pro 70-270 exam:
    For 70-290:
    to sum it up you need to have some experience or you going to struggle...

BTW and no offence now if you moaning whats the use of knowing the speed of USB and 1394!!!! what are you going to do when you HAVE to learn that Ultra SCSI runs at 20MBps and Ultra2 SCSI at 40? Oh i forgot to mention in A+ Core... there is a table full of them you have to learn! but whats the point well an entry level techie should know that and to be A+ Certified Comptia thinks that too! :biggrin

18. immoral giant

True, been reading through my books when I get the time.

As for the 70-270 and 70-290 the environment I am working in basically matches all of it, except we only have 2 domain controllers.

I guess i'll just have to plug away and read and test myself and see if my work will pay for it.

Just have to find a test center near me :)

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you can self-study for both the a+ and n+ dont worry.. when time comes for mcse you can have a re-think but thats also possible through self-study cause im doing it..

Test centres try these:
    Prometric

Vue

look at both a see which has a centre closer to you.

20. immoral giant

I had already looked on Vue, but nothing near me from Prometric.

I was planning on self studying for mcse, but time and money are problems. When I get home from work I am doing more workm but I have eventually got around to reading up on A+.

Wheres the best place to get test A+ exams, i've already done the ones that came with the Mike Meyers A+ Passport book?