What helps you remember the material...

Discussion in 'A+' started by swatto, Apr 4, 2009.

1. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Hey all :)

What do you find helps you remember things when studying - is it writing down what you read, listening to a podcast or just reading the material over and over?

for me it has to be reading and writing the stuff down - although it is hard to know how much to write - when taking notes becomes less like notes and more like a re-copy of the material.

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A wide variety of things, eg reading, listening, taking notes, Using multiple books/cram
    Guides, practice/hands on experience, practice exams, games. The list is endless.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I find I've got to write it down, watching videos and just reading is fine for getting an understanding of the material but to remember everything I have to write it down.

When I'm taking notes I try to only write down what
    A) I think I don't know well enough yet
    and
    B) I think will be in the exam

Figuring out what's in the exam is the hardest part, but using different study resources and practice exams gives you a good feel for what's important and what can perhaps be learned less rigorously.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Cheers for the replies guys :)

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I highlight the stuff in the books and occasionally I take notes but I also practice too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I just read through my book and highlighted everything that 1) I didn't already know and 2) seemed important and would likely be tested on. This mixed with watching videos on professor messer and listening to Mr. Ford's Class podcast while I worked out or did chores at night really helped. I also used pneumonic devices to memorize bulk information like the OSI, EP print process POST error codes and so on.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Getting hands-on experience. Sometimes, this isn't possible... when that happens, I just have to suck it up and remember it as best I can. It's not "Plan A", that's for sure!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

lol I'm kind of the same. I write way too much, but for me that's the best way to remember things.

9. z0nk

z0nk Bit Poster

Watching videos and reading on areas im struggling with. I like the Mike Meyers book as its written in a way that keeps me interested.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  10. keane14

keane14 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend another book apart from the Meyers and Street Smart books, i have read the Meyers a few times now and am proberly not taking it in as much now??

Cheers!!!

Certifications: Comptia A+ 2009 Edition
    WIP: Network +
  11. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Maybe your ready for the exam? - go through the exam objectives and look at areas you don't know aswell that are in the book :)

12. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The Sybex book by Docter et al is a good one. I found it rounded out the knowledge from AIO very well.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  13. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

I barely take any notes as I don't think it helps me remember things. I get a feel for what I fully understand and what I don't and just go over it again.

When I have to remember specific facts, I stick them into flash card software and go over them every evening until they are burned into my retina!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  14. morph

morph Byte Poster

not smoking pot :D

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  15. PcTestCard.com

PcTestCard.com New Member

I believed the practice in the real life experience is the best method to remember what studied.

Try hand on practice as much as you can, understood but not memorize the theory.
    There are also some events holding peridically in local study center for those computer exam taker.
    There are plenty of equipment available in the local study centers for a fraction of fees.

Hope this helps!
    Bill

WIP: MCSE A+ MSIS
  16. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Take a test sim and mark every answer for review.

Read why such an answer is correct and (sometimes more importantly) why an answer is incorrect. Write down the parts that I do not know and refer to other references (usually a book or a website like this one) for a more detailed description of what I simply am having trouble grasping and write it down.

Review my notes and take the sim exam again.

Repeat until I know it cold or grasp it as best I can and try not to get hung up/stressed on any one thing I just don't get.

The writing it down part seems to get it to sink in for me. I can't just highlight a book for some reason as I find myself turning the book yellow or pink.

It is very important to not just memorize the correct answers from the exam sims as they will be asked in a different way on the real exam. It is all about the concept.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE