What happens after an agency rings you about a job? What's the process

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Jul 14, 2010.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I've applied for a job online that's via an agency, but if they do ring me up about the job (fingers crossed), what would happen next?

When I've had admin/data entry job offers from agencies in the past, they've phoned me up and invited me in, I've completed a keyboard skills test and then we've discussed the job.

But what would be the process for an IT job? Bearing in mind I've yet to find that first IT job.

Would they just speak to me on the phone, or invite me into the office?

Would they ask about experience in voluntary work?

Would they ask me technical questions or put me in touch with the employer via phone whilst I'm at the agency, who would then ask me technical questions?

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

They'll probably invite you in for a chat and so they can get you signed up and on their books.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of technical questions, they'll rely on the employer to do that as they are unlikely to have the necessary knowledge to ask the questions in the first place.

Then its off to interview with the employer, which is when you'll get the technical grilling.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

My experiences with agencies are that I send in my CV for a role, I then call the agent concerned about 2 minutes after sending the CV in, talk to them about said role. If I am happy being forwarded for the role we see about getting me an interview, I do the interview, give feedback to the agency and see if I am lucky with the role.

I would not just leave sending my CV in as the only contact with the agency, I would contact them within 10 minutes of sending it off because you will be more memorable than the 100 odd other candidates who just sent in their cv without bothering to call the agent.

I have never been asked to come into the agency to have my skills tested.... ever.

You may be required to do whats called KYC (Know Your Client) which entails you taking your passport into the agency just to prove who you are and your eligibility to work in the UK.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Usually if i see a job I like and it has the details of the recruiter I will give them a call and ask them about the job and usually they will supply their direct email address and I fire off my CV. They may call back if suitable and go through the job and other things and ask if you are happy for them to forward your CV. Then it is interview time.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP