What gets checked in a Enhance CRB check?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 21, 2011.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As the title asks, it is something I have always wondered.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

All you need to know about CRB Checks

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. greenbrucelee

Thanks for that.

4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Well the officer doing it can put whatever the hell he wants on their at his discretion, including something as a vague as "2 month ban from driving". Coppers are nice like that.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. greenbrucelee

Yeah I know.

About 10 years ago when I lived in the red light district in Leeds I had to drive up & down the road where my house was to find a parking space. I eventually got one 4 spaces from my house and got out the car and proceeded to walk into my driveway. A car pulls up and two coppers got out and they said they were gonna do me for kerb crawling and then they tried do me for visiting a prostitute.

I then pointed out that the pro lived next door to me and that I was going into my house, they still wanted to try and do me for kerb crawling though although they didn't in the end.

Does stuff like that go on your record even if you didn't get done or you were warned?

6. westernkings

I shouldn't imagine so mate. Nice place to live though aye?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. greenbrucelee

Yeah it was great. I had people knocking on my door at all hours of the night because they had mistaken my house for the pro's house next door, use to find needles in my garden and top it all of I had to deal with the cop scoming round to make sure my house wasn't a brothel.

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Yeah, but you only had to go next door if the fancy took you. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. greenbrucelee

nah she was like a reject from Jeremy Kyle but with less teeth :D

10. westernkings

I think by "Walking distance to entertainment" they had a different meaning in mind.

11. greenbrucelee

lol there was one down the road who was very good looking and she wasn't a druggie but I think she had so many fingers in her pie (and other things) that she was a walking disease.

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

As I understand it, the actual check is pretty factual - if you've actually been done for anything.

The dodgy bit, I believe, is that they can write to the employer who has requested it and tell them if you've ever been suspected of anything or investigated but not actually charged or convicted.

As GBL says, that can be open to a lot of interpretation.

To be honest, they are a pain in the arris.

Just about every job seems to ask for one, even ones that don't seem remotely relevant. OK, working with kids or whatever I can understand - but if I drove too fast once, does it mean I'm going to start nicking staplers from the office?

I wouldn't be surprised if something comes of them from all these government cuts. They must be extremely labour intensive. Hopefully when the force has shed half their coppers they'll tell people only to request them if they are really necessary - and then make them wait for six months while they process them.

Oh, wait... :oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. greenbrucelee

Does the information stay on forever? or is there a certain amount of time where it gets wiped like speeding tickets get wiped after 4/5 years?

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

"On the 19th October 2009, a judgement by the Court of Appeal supported retention of criminal convictions on the Police National Computer for policing purposes. In particular the police are obliged, under Part V of the Police Act, to provide the Criminal Records Bureau with access to all convictions held on the PNC.
    Therefore, the stepping down of convictions is no longer undertaken. In effect this means that all convictions will be retained on the PNC until an individuals 100th birth date.
    Under Part V of the Police Act 1997, the CRB has a statutory duty to include on a CRB certificate details of every conviction, caution, reprimand and warning that is recorded on the PNC."

8)

15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

On the positive side - when you reach 100, party on!

:biggrin

16. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

100th Birthday and it clears! LOL!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  17. greenbrucelee

I wont get that old :D so I guess the time I got caught having some marajuana on me when I was a student might be on there?

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Probably not.

They used to step down things after a certain amount of time, as you originally asked.
    Although they've stopped doing it now, the chances are it was still done between you being a student and today.

I also seem to recall that anything you got done for as a juvenile (under 16) got wiped when you became an adult. That's probably changed now too.

I blame computers.

In the old days, everything the Old Bill had on you was in a filing cabinet. I bet they couldn't wait to chuck the old stuff out. Now with databases they can keep it all forever without running out of space.

:ohmy

19. greenbrucelee

lol damn computers :D

20. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Bear in mind though - if it isn't on your CRB check, it's now on a public forum instead.

Not sure which is worse...

:biggrin