What first training or experience?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zee, Jul 6, 2005.

1. zee

zee New Member

Hi all,

First off could I say a big thank you for the site you are running here, I've been having a read through over the last few days and there's some really useful info- cheers.

My troubles, like the many others, is to do with training- yawn. I'm really anxious to get started on the right foot.

I've been researching different ways in which to get entry in Networking and have spoken to many different organistions that claim to be able to help me achieve this.

To cut a long story short my options are:

Cerco- purely for the on-the-job work experience starting very low down on the ladder and seeing where that gets me.

Or going straight for the vendor qualifications (A+, N+, MSCA, CCNA and 3 months work placement- £5000 w/exams)?

As you may have gussed I have no prior experience in Networking (but have worked with PC's/ Microsoft Office etc for a number of years).

If anyone out there has had experience or knows of a training organisation in the London area I would be grateful if you could let me know (PM me if you prefer).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Zee.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can't talk about any of the training organizations in your neck of the woods since I live in the U.S. and I don't know a thing about Cerco. I don't considered the A+ or Network+ to be too Windows driven, although it is biased in that direction, so I guess you might not think of them as "vendor neutral".

I consider the A+ and Network+ material to be pretty much a foundation for anything else you might want to do in computer networking, especially if you have no prior experience. It's not the certifications themselves that I consider "magic", but the material and knowledge they represent is essential. If you don't know the basics, you won't have anything to build on.

I did a program through my local university that offered a 2 year program. It worked out quite well for me in the end and like you, I had no prior experience going in besides being an end user. In your shoes, I'd find a way to at least pick up the A+ material for starters, get an old PC or two and see how my mechanical skills measure up. It's a place to begin.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

I have to ditto what Trip said. A+ and Network+ are terrific foundations in hardware, software, and networking that will help you greatly in any endevour you follow in the networking/admin realm. They are not inexpensive, but they do have value in their own rights, and are also recognized by other vendors like Microsoft. This is the way I started, and I still find that the info I got for those certs pops up on other cert tests I have taken. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi Zee

I am also at the same crossroads in my life as yourself, my age has swayed me to go the Cerco route, I have an induction meeting with them in London (hope its all died down by then) :( on the 20th of July. I will then make a deciding decision but it looks 90% thats the way I'm going as there is an (almost) guaranteed job (albeit lowly paid) at the end of it. I shall then study the A+ Exam so that that coupled with some experience will hopefully promote me to a decent salaried career within the IT industry!

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  5. zee

zee New Member

Hi all,

Was due to see Cerco and Exp Solutions today but due to the situation in London had to turn around at Waterloo- It's been a very sad day.

Will try again soon.

Thanks again for your help guys.

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Zee,

I have just read through your post. I am also trying to make a break into IT.
    As I have said before in all honesty If i were a single bloke with no ties I would probably throw caution to the wind and give Cerco 4K for the "start up course".

As I aint in that position I am going the Self cert route with as much hands on experience on the way as i can get :D

I wish you the best on your venture. Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT