What firewall do you use at home?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 22, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As the question says.

I use Norton 2006 but is about to run out, it was included with my pc as 90 day trial but I know for a fact I could delete from my pc now and reinstall it for another 90 days, but I fancy something different.

What do you use and recommend?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Never use a software firewall. They are a tool of the devil.

Either get a router with a built-in firewall or use a dedicated one. My setup (pretty overkill admittedly) is a NetScreen 5GT at the edge, with ISA stuck behind it handling DMZ duties.

If you get something like a WRT54G you will have a firewall that is the equal of most hardware firewalls built in - every small client I've ever built a network for or sorted out a botched up previous network install I've shoved a WRT54G on running DD-WRT firmware and I've never had a complaint related to them. You can pick em up for about thirty quid on EBay.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I use two, I've got a basic one built into my router and on my PC's I use Panda 2008, which I find good and easy to use.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

zebulebu that sure looks like a overkill for home net :)
    but personally I like Zone Alarm or Kaspersky Internet Security.

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

I always use a software firewall since i take my laptop into and out of work :)

Personally i use mcafee security center 2007 on my machince, but thats only because it came free with the laptop when i baught it. Since then ive renewed it once as i have had no problems with it.

I will warn you though, unisnstalling norton is a total pain in the a@se.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  6. greenbrucelee

How do mean?

Does it not all delete when being removed?

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - MM is right - get ready for a world of hurt...

Norton is, and always has been, the absolute worst of security products to remove. Everything they make seems to be designed deliberately to be as difficult as possible to remove. Strangely, some people say the same thing about McAfee's stuff, but I've never found it to be a problem getting rid of their products.

There is a tool online that you can use to completely kill any Norton app stone dead - I think it's actually available from Slimeantec's website - which gives you some idea of how cruddy their stuff is (if the vendor themselves make a tool that is designed to uninstall products that already come with uninstall routines that don't work...)

8. greenbrucelee

That sounds totally shite

9. ManicMonkey

Most of the time, yes it will complete successfully.
    However there are times (and i can not seem to find a reason why) when it states successful removal, but will not allow you to install a new version of anti virus programs stating that you must uninstall Norton first.

Like i said most of the time you are ok ;) however you should be aware that occasionally it will leave bits of Norton on the system.

Heres a link for a removal tool - Norton removal Tool (note the ftp location :blink )

10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I ditched ZoneAlarm for Comodo Firewall Pro which is free, yet top notch! More secure than a secure thing. :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

It is. There's a well-held theory that security vendors deliberately make their stuff difficult to remove so that it dissaudes people from switching.

Personally, I tend to think its more a case of shite development teams, as McAfee are one of, if not THE most predatory AV company licensing-wise in the corporate environment, but their stuff is usually much easier to get shot of if you don't want it.

Incidentally, I had a McAfee rep come in to see me this week about our AV solution (we use EPO, which I've recently had to rebuild) and took the opportunity to vent me spleen about the fist-gnawingly annoying habit they have of adding 'functionality' to their desktop AV clients. I advised him that I didn't want an AV client that had a built in firewall, antispyware, antispam and botnet protection. That might be fine for clueless home users, but I have ALREADY got that in my corporate environment thank you very much!

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

MM

I'm not sure what its like now, as (thankfully) I havent had to touch a system with anything from Norton installed on it now for years. It used to be the case that the main reason for Norton's products not uninstalling properly was because they added services that put hooks in the TCP/IP stack in Windows (much like a lot of software VPN & Encryption clients). these hooks weren't cleared out after an uninstall and often could be resolved by reinstalling the TCP/IP stack on the box concerned.

13. ManicMonkey

Its odd, but i have uninstalled mcafee much easier than norton.
    However i dont use mcafee for anything but firewall and virus scanner, mainly since i find the pop-up blocker and otherfeatures do not really work as well as the virus scanner and firewall.
    I also use spyware doctor and adaware to replace the missing things in mcafee :)

14. ManicMonkey

Yeah zeb me too :) i avoid it like the plauge :) and always advise people to not use it lol.

15. greenbrucelee

all I want is something that allows/denies relevant ports to be accessible/un-accessible and something which will warn me if there is an intrusion aler so I can take the relevant action by allowing or denying.

I dont need anti spam or anti virus I have plenty

16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You can't go wrong with Zone Alarm, free version of software firewall.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I use the hardware firewall thats built into my router, i leave the windows one running aswell.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  18. ManicMonkey

ooo i have to admit im always wary useing windows firewall :tune

19. greenbrucelee

My friend uses comodo firewall pro he says it good and i have read that it scored well in leakage tests, I am not sure though.

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. I've got a WGR614 that does me just fine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!