What does a software tester do?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tech291083, Feb 23, 2006.

1. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

hi all,

i have been looking at some IT job sites recently and come across a role called software tester. i m interested in knowing more abt it.what does it involve.some of the adverts say that no experienced required training will be given.does it require any software developemt skills? is a software tester supposed to be knowing any of the programming languages? cheers.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Usualy no - you don't need to know programming to do this.

In many cases you are given a set of actions to perform, and you note what happens when you do those actions. In some cases you are invited to play with the app for some time to see if you can break it!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. tech291083

tech291083 Bit Poster

thanks harry,

i am interested in trying my luck by becoming a software tester.does it any way guarantee a good future? i would appreciate some more info if you can provide.thanks a lot again.

4. hbroomhall

This will depend completely on the exact job offered. :biggrin

Harry.

5. hbroomhall

Commenting further - if you don't currently have a job at the very least it shows that you will do whatever to earn a living, rather than collecting the unemployment! And it may lead onto other work in that company when they get to know you.

Harry.

6. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

from what i've heard from someone i know who is a software tester you need a fair amount of knowledge about programming languages.

7. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

8. bladesgttdi

bladesgttdi New Member

Hi,

My first role in IT was a system tester, did this for year before moving to a developer role.

In system testing basically you read through the specifications of the application to be tested and then create test conditions to check/prove it works as specified, and also mess around with the application to try and break it.

While testing I got learn about SQL, as the testing I did was to check values on the database were stored/recorded correctly, but in most cases no programming experience is required.

I found it a good starting point, as you get to learn about the development lifecycle, and it depends on the company, but can normally progress by getting on Training courses to become a developer.

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

It depends on the job, whether or not you need programming knowledge. Some companies will require you to just log the errors, some companies will require to assist the programming team to correct the errors/problems (especially in small companies).
    If you want to find out more about software/beta testing and get some (voluntary) experience actually doing this. All you have to do is do a search on Beta testing, alot of companies accept voluntary beta testers to test their product. I was quite lucky, I got chosen to beta test an online game acouple of years ago which was fun.
    There are courses out there for people who want to get a cert in system/software/beta testing. But it's down to the person, whether or not to do this.
    Will it guarantee a good future? Unfortunately, there is no 100%guarantee. However it will contribute to it. There are jobs out there that pay well for beta testers, or it could lead you into the world of development. It depends where you want your career to go. It's just like entering a helpdesk role, do you want to stay there or go on and do other things, choice is yours...

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security