What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 5, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Since my debts are about to end (2 payments left) and the job opportunities around here are not very good, I have decided to get my N+ and MCDST whilst saving up some cash so I have some money behind me to apply for jobs further a field. This will give me some spare cash for when I have to find a flat or house.

If I can get a job around here which is doubtful then great but it really does look like I will have to move if & when I secure a job in IT.

Do you think its a sensible idea or not?

Edit: I am taking the A+ exams 31st March.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. greenbrucelee

This thread dissapeared of the home page quickly :blink

3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Sounds like a good plan, rather than using what money you have on a move, and taking a long time to recoup.

How long are you thinking the N+ and MCDST might take you?

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. greenbrucelee

I am hoping to get the N+ out of the way by July then make a start on the 70-271. I am hoping to them all done by October or ealier if possible.

I suppose it all depends on how the studying goes, I am taking two weeks off work after the A+ so I can get a good start on the N+.

5. greenbrucelee

Just to add I have all the books I am going to need on order so there will no hanging around waiting for material after I do the A+.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Flippin Heck mate! If you can do N+ before July..fair play to you! I always find that planning things in life never work!

But good luck to you:rocks:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Remember, mate... certifications will help... but they won't get you that job. Learn from what you've seen others go through... I'd hate to see you study and study and study and get certified... and THEN start applying for jobs... and then have to look for several months before you find something.

If you want to look further afield, look further afield NOW. Interview when you can do so. If they don't offer you the job, then the interview will be great experience! If they DO offer you the job, THEN you can decide whether the move is even feasible at that point in your savings plan (and a good salary would certainly help make that decision easier). Even if you don't accept a job until you have the money saved, then your worst case scenario by looking now is AS GOOD as your best case scenario if you just wait and don't even try to look.

Certainly you CAN delay looking... but remember, it's far harder to get that first IT job than ANY exam will ever be. Start looking now, and you MIGHT get lucky with an IT job. Wait, and you are absolutely guaranteed to not get a job until you start applying.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee

Well I am going to have 2 weeks off work to give me a good start on it, I'll have my little lab setup to play about with and if things go well the hopefully around July time I'll be sitting the exam.

It might not work out that way but we will have to see.

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

hhhmmm. just reading that last bit.:biggrin

yeah sounds like a cracking idea:thumbleft Infact as you say you probably need to relocate and as I found out when i was working in the chemistry field you do need some hard cash behind you to relocate. Some of the big company's used to pay for relocation or set you up in temporary accomadation. But these days that sort of thing seems to be forgotten.:rolleyes::(

10. greenbrucelee

But with no money behind me, moving away is going to be extremely tough especially when I will have to take a pay cut. I realise certs won't get me a job but with the N+ and maybe an MCP it'll maybe make me look a more appealing employee.

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Well goodluck...and you couldn't be in a better place (I mean here on CF) if things do go a bit wrong or you need help with your studies!:biggrin8)

12. greenbrucelee

yep CF is a good place for help & advice.

13. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have to agree with what BM said, you should start looking further a field now. If you got offered a job and you would have to relocate could you not find some cheap accodamation and maybe even take out a small loan to help you pay the rent for the first year to the salary starts to increase, I know you are justing getting out of debt and you do not want to get back in but if you take out a loan that you can afford to pay back once your pay goes up it could be worth it in the long run. As it is very diffcult to get your first IT job imagine turning one down then spending another 18 months looking for another one once you have saved some money.

Certifications: A few.
  14. greenbrucelee

I won't be able to take out a loan because of my credit rating I know this because I can't even get a debit card that is how bad my credit rating is. So a loan is right out of the question.

15. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Well that puts my suggestion out. I was going to say you would only have to wait about 4 weeks before your first pay check so you could put your rent etc on the credit card or overdraft. But if you have nadda credit then that aint gonna work!

If you really want to get into IT then you may have to take the risk with relocating. It might mean eating carpet fluff and weevils for a month, but I think you'll find a way to get by. You'd be surprised how resourceful you can be when you have no money!

Are there any commutable towns/cities near you that you could look to get an IT job in?

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  16. greenbrucelee

I'd rather find a job before relocating as I wouldn't want to make my budget too tight. If I could take out a loan or put the rent on a card then I would but its just not possible until my credit rating shows some improvement.

17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

You might want to approach Capital One for a credit card. They have a version for people with CCJs and other bad credit history. You don't get much of a limit - but if you keep it clean then the limit gradualy increases.

I used them many years ago when I was recovering from a bad debt position, and they were the only people prepared to give me a card.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. greenbrucelee

Cheers Harry I will look into that and see what its about.

Edit: I applied for one but they need to check me out further before accepting or declining me.

19. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I know your worried about poor credit mate, but rather than wait for Capital one I would find out what your rating is. Experian Credit

Is a credit broker that most of the high street banks and BT use to check peoples credit history. If you sign up with them as I did you will find out your credit rating and they also provide a list of credit card, loan and mortgage providers that you can approach with that credit rating. That's what I did when looking for a mortgage I was surprised at what my credit rating was, because I thought it was bad:blink After filling in some question I then got contacted by a local broker on the phone who told me what I could or could not afford with my rating and the wages I was on!

Give them ago!

They are doing a free trial at the moment, so it won't cost you anthing to find out your credit rating8)

20. greenbrucelee

I know what my credit rating is as I joined check my file.com a few months before I joined CF and its pants to say the least. Cheer for the suggestion though.