What do you think of....

Discussion in 'A+' started by dantronix, Sep 20, 2005.

1. dantronix

dantronix New Member

I was wondering what people thought of the Test Out training software?

I have been using a friends copy to study for the A+ exam and have found it to be quite good, but as I have not tried any other software I dont have anything to compare it with.

Has anyone here used them before, and if so did you find it was a help towards the exams?

Just after your opinions? :biggrin

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry mate, never heard of them or used them. Maybe Sarah has an idea about them as she is in the industry so to speak.

Edit: Sorry but don't hold your breath waiting, I just noticed she hasn't been around lately.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've heard of them but never used them. Sorry...can't help you here.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i know them and tried to use them... IMOH dont use them for two reasons:
    a) the person talking will put you to sleep and they sound like a robot and not naturally speaking..
    b) i found out they dont cover everything..

now what im using is Learnkey (www.learnkey.com) - the A+ is with Mike Meyers (aka a+ master aka the KING of a+) this guy will keep you occupied and i promise will teach you alot of the material... btw you might want to get his all-in-one guide too :biggrin

good luck!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

To be fair, it's not easy to produce those recordings. Most of the content is recorded at the instructor's home or office as they run through the powerpoint slides and on screen examples on their own computers. The vendor provides the instructor with the equipment and software to make those recordings. The intros and such that require you actually see the instructor's face are recorded at the vendor's studio over the course of one to two days. If you've ever tried to act nature while being recorded...especially on camera, then you know how difficult it can be. :wink:

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no offence trip :biggrin mike is not just the only good one... i have seen the CCNA series too and that guy is good too.. even CBT Nuggets have lively instructors.. i just cant stand that women talking like that! :cry:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries, zimbo. I'm not offended. I just tried to imagine myself in front of a camera. :blink

:tongue

8. dantronix

dantronix New Member

The woman in the video is really boring but I felt that she was easy to understand and went into things quite well. (or so I thought)

I will be getting hold of the A+ all in one book by Mike Meyers, and will also take a look at learnkey.com to see what thats all about.

Can anyone suggest any good practice question sites? I have been searching today on google and havent found too many good ones yet?

WIP: CompTIA A+
  9. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

just my 2 pence worth but the sybex cds that come with the a+ have a pretty good guy doing it. on the flipside tho anyone done ecdl with learn direct? god she's is boring!!

speakers off and....GO!! :twisted:

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Mike Meyer's A+ video's were very good I though, as was his N+ video (both Learnkey). I actually laughed out loud a few times at his cheesy jokes, and found both sets of video's very useful for the exams.

I tried out a sample of a training video from another company a while back (can't remember which one) and I'm not kidding, I felt like killing myself ater listening to the guy for 30seconds.

I think some of these people who go 'postal' in the USA ave probably seen one to many IT training video's. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada