What do you think of Vista Beta 2?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by noelg24, Jun 19, 2006.

?

What do you think of Vista Beta 2?

1. I love it more than my partner!!!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. I like the new GUI and features.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Could do with more compatible drivers.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I think I will wait for the proper release.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  5. I am not really bothered.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. I am happy with Windows 95 thanks!!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Ok so u all know I have been re-doing my machine big time over the weekend by installing and reinstalling Vista and trying different combos and that...and i have to say I cant wait for the proper release on this OS...its absolutely fantastic...I dont know what else to see...:biggrin

But what do you guys think? Are pleased with the new GUI and features or do you think its just a waste of hardware!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

to be honest noel it hasnt got me as excited as xp had me.. maybe its because i havent played enough with it.. any news on a release date? 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Jan 2007 zimbo mate...and just so u lot know I dont have a partner...haha...but I love it more than any woman who would wana meet me...sad arent I? hehe...

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

For me I think I'll wait until they release the full versions, then decide. I played with the Beta for a few days, but it was so slow that I had to bin it. Hopefully when they release the full product it may run better as the version I'll probably be using won't have all the 'eye candy' that the beta has.

To me it simply seems like a huge amount of investment will have to be made in hardware to run it, so in three years, perhaps, but for now I'll stick with XP for everyday use, and focus my attentions towards the 'open source' world. There is no denying that vista will have a huge impact on the desktop, but 'Longhorn' on the server I'm not so sure about...........

8)

5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I aint voted yet, cuz i have downed it and played with it yet...

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

beta? beta? where can i get me one of those?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

8. CliffG

CliffG Nibble Poster

been tinkering with this over the last couple of weeks..
    Man, getting device drivers to work with it was a pain..
    But ohh yeah, it's defo looking sexy :)

Just a note about uninstalling it..
    If you had it dual boot with XP on your C: and Vista on another, then you'll find when uninstalling it, that it doesn't modify the boot.ini file that xp uses, but has it's own boot program.

To fix this, you'll need an xp disk (or have the recovery console as a boot option), boot from CD, enter the recovery console, then 'fixboot' on C: and then 'fixmbr'. Once done, you can format and be clean again.

ps. oh and just a note about installing too.. Had terrible problems writing it and then installing from a dvd.. Best mount the iso using demeaon tools and install from there (it's quicker too).

WIP: Network+
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

one note on that about installing Cliff...if u burnt it onto a DVD at 8x or more thats why u were gettin the problem...I downloaded it and burnt it at 4x...no problem installing after that...and I was given a copy by a friend at work...havent told him the disc he gave me didnt work...haha...

10. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I think Vista is rough, but that's expected with a beta. Their enhancements in driver structure (less kernel-mode functioning) will result in better system stability. Aero, while it can cripple inferior systems (GPU less than 128MB), [arguably] shines on muscular boxen. The gadgets are cool (Sidebar), and may limit the enhancements market, but it's a looong time coming, as is the alt-tab enhancement of incuding the active screen of the app. The integration of the GPU in multi-tasking (when finished) will benefit the GUI, too. There's so much to comment on...

I think its a large step visually towards competing with OSX. On a security side, I like the fact that the OS limits the user accounts (UAC) power, and doesn't sutomatically assume administrator rights. I'll enjoy tinkering under the hood on this for a while...

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  11. CliffG

CliffG Nibble Poster

Yeah i burnt it with 4x using nero 7 but that didn't work for me, then i burnt with cheetah at the same speed, and it then worked.
    But had probs installing it later.. (maybe it's my media lol)

WIP: Network+
  12. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

XP from 95, 98 or ME was alot of difference so hence i loved it.

I've tried Vista and tbh it feels like XP but with some extra features thrown in and more memory hungry. I'm not that excited as i was with XP.

What i do like about Vista is i think it's very user friendly. Every time you try and change something or install something it alerts you, goes grey and doesn't let you do anything else unless you cancel or contiune. This could save some stupid calls from a helpdesk point of view.

Now all they need is for monitors to say "PC not turned on" instead of no signal input and we won't have to deal with stupid calls. ;)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  13. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I think Vista seems good i like the GUI, but ive got it on a dual boot on my system boot is just seems whenever i start my computer i go on XP because in my opinion XP at the minute is a hell of a lot better.

Jack

14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Can this be installed under Virtual pc?

btw: Cheers for the link

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You forgot Windows 2000 Professional. IMHO the best workstation OS M$oft has produced to date. To Me XP is like Windows 2000 with some extra features thrown in and more memory hungry.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Yup forgot 2000 /slaps self. XP is just 2k in a clown suit really.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  17. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Hmm.... they are built on the same codebase, but XP has a much greater driverbase, and the HCL is *much* more media friendly (especially in USB) than 2000. Most things I plug in are recognized, and these days, the PC is not just standalone anymore -- consumers want their PC to play well with all things outside the box. Remember, XP was created for the masses, and tried to (somewhat successfully) derail the building fanbase of the (aesthetically) superior OS-X.

On a techie note, you're right; these changes aren't really important to us, so we minimalize the impact that a friendlier system generates. Ask any non-geek which is nicer, and they will always choose XP. Furthermore, we belittle the GUI (we still love CL! .. ummm, at least *nix peeps and admins), but navigation is a *major* issue in the OS world. Vista, polished (!), could have ended the Apple threat .. were it not for iTunes and the iPod :dry

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Apples are okay, if you can afford one :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  19. tomshawk

tomshawk Byte Poster

I voted that I'll wait until a proper release comes out only because of bugs and quircks.

It is kind of hard to say you'll love or hate a product when its in Beta.

I will say this though, It's impressive!!

For those that have installed it as a second OS, You'll notice something wild in the new boot menu BCD

If you want to rename the options so they make more sense to you i.e.
    "Windows XP instead of "Earlier version of windows"
    and
    "Windows Vista Beta 2" instead of "Microsoft Windows"

I wrote up an article explaining what to do

Enjoy

Certifications: MCSE/NT4, MCP/2K3, MCP+I, CCNA, Net+, A+
  20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

nice one Tom altho if you go to www.vistamania.org they have a program which can do all that for you and u dont need to be in Command prompt to use it....but thats good tho...