what do I do?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 11, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have put this in training and development section as it covers a few areas from my own training, developing myself and geting a job.

I am soon to take my A+ exams. After which I shall also become debt free, my dilema is and some of you will remember me saying about this is that I live in an area where IT jobs are hard to come by.

Its quite obvious to me that I am going to have to move away from the area I live in, but because of my debts I have zero savings. Now do I study for my next cert after the A+ and save up whilst studying so I can move away or do you have any suggestions on what I do?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Are you currently employed?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee

yes been in the same crap job for 7 years

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I wouldnt necessarily move before you get a job somewhere else. Otherwise you will just put yourself in a bad position. You have a job right now, if you move before you get another job, then you will be unemployed.

When I was having trouble finding a job in Aberdeen, I decided I would search further afield. I gave careful consideration to the places I would be prepared to move to, and decided that (initially) Edinburgh was the next expansion on my list. So I started searching for jobs in edinburgh, as well as aberdeen. Once you are made a job offer in another city, etc, you can up sticks and move. Before then, you are just making life difficult for yourself.

So long as you are capable of getting to the other location to interview, then its just counterproductive for you to leave your current job and move. Keep searching for jobs in your local area, and in the other locations you decide are acceptable, then work away in your current job, and save money so you are ready if/when you need to move.

The main advantage to this is that you broaden your limits without compromising yourself. If you move to London (for instance), you would restrict yourself to searching for jobs in your new location (London). If you dont commit to moving before you get a job offer, you can search for jobs in London, Newcastle, Manchester, etc. Anywhere, basically, that you are prepared to move to.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

What he said and QFT and spot on too:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Fergal's advice is spot on for me, how far as you willing to go is the key. Also, you may well take a paycut. So in all honesty, moving to London with no savings, and starting at the bottom with an entry level job, just *isnt* going to work.

Could you study another cert or two, while saving as much as you can for a year? Lets say this time next year you could get A+, N+ and MCDST, and have 6-7k in the bank, your in a much stronger position to relocate and kick start your career.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the Advice I would never leave my job until I had another one lined up, that wouldn't make any sense. I don't think I would want to move to London or down south for some reason I just prefer the North and Scotland. I was thinking about West Yorkshire mainly Leeds as I lived there for 4 years no the area quite well and still know people who live there.

Not sure I could wait a year as I am having to take my current job month by month because the business isn't doing too well so there is always a threat of redundancies.

I'll have to come back to this later as I have been called into work. :(

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Which part of that statement didn't you like? :biggrin

As Fergal so wisely pointed out, look for a job in the part of the country that you would like to move to and if you are offered interviews tell them that you are willing to re-locate.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Fergal is spot-on accurate. It's great to be able to look ANYWHERE for a job... that completely opens up your prospects!! Rep given.

You might want to list on your CV or cover letter that relocation assistance is not required, just so the employer knows that you plan on moving to the area with your own money. Again, it's all about looking more attractive to employers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. BosonMichael

He didn't like the QFT part. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Couldn’t agree more…
    - Reps given

13. greenbrucelee

So is the general consencious that I should study other certs like the N+ and MCDST whilst saving up cash to be able to relocate?

14. Fergal1982

Nope. General consensus seems to be start looking elsewhere as soon as you clear your debts, and save towards your relocation whilst you are doing it. But you should probably make constructive use of your time whilst doing so, so make a start on the next cert.

Ultimately though, you should be looking for an IT job further afield as soon as you are in a position to be able to afford to move (ie once you clear your debts)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  15. greenbrucelee

cheers for your helpful advice mate reppage given :)

I am going to upload my CV on a few jobsites now as its only 2 payments away untill my debts are gone :)

16. Fergal1982

good idea. What I would perhaps suggest is that however much you are paying to your debtors, you start saving. Its what I plan to do.

You can use the money you save to help you relocate if need be (or just splurge out on some bigger purchases you've had your eyes on - like me :biggrin )

17. BosonMichael

Start looking for jobs NOW, or as soon as you think you have enough money to move. If you get other certifications, add them to you CV and keep looking.

Do everything you can to cut expenses. The less you eat out, or spend on entertainment, or spend on any other controllable expense, the quicker you will be able to get that IT job, move, and start building experience so you can earn better money sooner. The more you cut back now, the more you'll be able to spend sooner rather than later.

18. greenbrucelee

As soon as my debts are gone I am going to be about £350 a month better of, so I plan to put that money away in a savings account untill I need it.

I am going to cut down my expenses to the bare minimum so I can save as much as possible as I see no option but to relocate once I get a job. Where ever that job is going to be is another story.

19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Keep going with the certs after the A+ to give yourself every chance of getting a job in IT. Apply for jobs right after you get the A+ as you never know what might happen! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. greenbrucelee

Will do, cheers mate.

My debts really screwed things up for me, I need to try and get some money behind me aswell as get a job which will probably mean me moving and that isn't going to be cheap no matter where I go :(