What did you spend on training?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by samlea72, May 9, 2011.

1. samlea72

samlea72 Bit Poster

There seems to be a wide difference on what people can pay to get training for different certs, what would be a reasonable amount?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think it really depends on how much you're willing to look around and barter when it comes to training.

I have been on the lookout for VCP training for a while, now obviously this requires a VMware accredited training center and unfortunately most of those charge a fair amount for the VCP classes, as an example a quick google search for UK providers has come up with this pricing.

Training Provider A - £2445*
    Training Provider B - £2600*
    Training Provider C - £2350*

*These costs exclude VAT@20%

As you can see there is a couple of £ difference between the providers but with a little bit of time and effort you can actually find yourself amazing deals (as an example, as I am prepared to do my VCP at weekends I have managed to get my VCP course for just over £1000, and that's the final price, no VAT to include on top and it's an accredited VMware Training Provider.

The same can be said for various other training courses, I haven't paid full price for training in years because there is always something to be had where discounts come in, perhaps it's the end of a financial quarter and the salesman needs to reach his target, perhaps the class is only 50% full and it's better to get more seats on bums at 75% of the course costs than the usual full price.

Never accept that the price you see is the price you have to pay, because if that training provider isn't willing to budge, another one will be.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Plus also your current level of knowledge & experience, what subject/certification you are going for, how you learn and what equipment you have to hand will all dictate how much is reasonable to pay for training...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As said it totally depends on what the course is, and how much you want to pay :)

The last one I did was an ISEB Enterprise and Solutions Architecture course + exams, list price was 2k but did a deal and my company only paid 1k.

Always get a discount, never pay list price.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have never used a provider so I guess I will have paid about a grand in total or less

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never used a provider for a certification, so basically its books, cbts, exam sims and exam fees. I don't count petrol and parking to get to test centre !

I started night college for MCSA, cost me 500 for one term then dropped course.

Total, guestimate around 4000 pounds.

I also did some discount or free betas so might be a little less than that.

7. 56mylar

56mylar Bit Poster

I used careersavers training, its CBT, which I prefer, and it was only $99 to access all of their courses with videos, audios and software. A great deal, you can't really beat that. That doesn't include the cost of the exam, but for training, you won't get anything for less than their deal.

8. samlea72

samlea72 Bit Poster

Thanks for your opinions everyone, I guess asking what you spend on cert/training is like asking how much I should expect to spend on buying dinner LOL
    Great advice Simon, that is good to know.
    56mylar, where can I get more information on this deal?

9. 56mylar

56mylar Bit Poster