What CV should be like for an entry level IT job ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by cBooM, Mar 8, 2015.

1. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

Hello, guys!
    As I was saying in my first post (can't link yet), I graduated in Law and now I want to get into IT and get an entry level job position. I have been applying for a while, but unfortunately unsuccessful.

Probably, as any desperate person who is searching for a job, I changed my CV hundred of times, eventually adding beautiful stories and "experience" I don't really possess :( I know it's not good to do so, but I did it only to get interview appointments, where I could prove further that I could do that particular job. Now, after seeing that this doesn't help, I want to ask you what am I doing wrong and what approach should I take in order to get any entry level job?

I have practice in PC troubleshooting and web developing, but this was always just my hobby and I have never worked officially for somebody. In fact, the only official work I have on my history is in the hospitality field: in USA as a runner (been there for 4 months with Work and Travel) and now as a bartender :( and, to be honest, I really hate it! I just know it is not for me ..

Anyway, "creating" my CV I wrote that I have been working as a Court Clerk, because I have been helping my dad (audio-typing and writing cases for him) for almost 8 years and I really know all the duties of an court clerk and I can do them .. Also, I wrote that I have been working as a Customer Service Advisor because I am really fond of technology and gadgets and I know that customer service experience is really important for employers ..

I am really ashamed that I have to lie, but I just couldn't see any other chance to get an interview appointment.

Now, the questions: what do you think of this CV ? should I leave it like this or should I change it, writting "the truth" ? I want to apply for and entry level IT position (1st line support, desktop helpdesk, team assistant..)
    I really like this community, as I find valuable information and I hope you won't be harsh on me and give some tips on how to get on the right road :)

thank you, sorry for the long post ..

Attached Files:

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

And you dont think they will want references from these fake jobs youve said youve had? I dont reccomend lying on your cv for obvious reasons but if you insist on doing so atleast be smart about it. Get some certs to back the knowledge you say you have.. take alook at certs like MTAs and Comptia A+ etc

3. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

regarding my last "position" I've talked to the management on my current job to back me up, but the previous two are from Moldova and I highly doubt anyone from UK checks or even gives a damn about any experience from other country .. especially one like mine :((
    at the moment I am studying for CompTIA A+, I think I should be ready to pass the exams in one month ..
    what about the CV in general ? anything else there is not good or missing ?
    I would be more than glad to write the truth, if I had a chance for a job interview .. if anyone would give me some tips about this, I'd be more than happy ;)

4. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Depends on the company, lady I worked with was asked to provide a certificate from the secretarial school she attended 30 years ago as part of the back ground checks as it had been on her application.

If you put it on there expect it to be checked, more fool a company who doesn't.

5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

1) Don't lie.
    2) Don't lie.
    3) Don't lie.

Do you know why it's pretty easy to tell you're either lying at worst, or exaggerating your experience at very best? Your CV is so very vague. You've said you do network configuration, but you make no mention of switching, VLANs, or even a hardware vendor. You haven't said which MS OSes you can support, nor which versions of Office. There is, in fact, no mention of a specific version of anything you claim to support.

When people ask me what I do, I don't say "configure networks". I can work with Dell Sonicwall products and Netgear switches. I can configure VLANs and VPNs (as a small example). I don't have experience with "Backups"; I have experience with Symantec Backup Exec, Storagecraft and Veeam.

The CV is a document to sell yourself, and you're just not doing that. Other things that really ground my gears:

• Your DoB and gender are on your CV. Take them off. They're not needed.
    • You've put your "professional typing speed" on there. Seriously? No.Take it off.
    • You've used !! instead of bullet points. Just. No.
    • Your personal statement isn't really a personal statement for what you want to do with your career; it's where you are now. Remove the law degree reference; it's the first thing you see, and that's not what IT recruiters are looking for

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    JK2447 and cBooM like this.
  6. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

this is what I really needed for a long time !! thank you very much !! I really appreciate your tips !!! I will edit my CV and show a new version

JK2447 likes this.
  7. MDCasey

MDCasey New Member

This is a GREAT (although harsh) summation. You can tell how competitive these jobs are by how @Arroryn immediately jumped to the idea that you are lying. That's understandable! In a field with SO MUCH diversity in skills and experiences, it's tempting to say you've done something you haven't or that you know "all of" one style of work. Unfortunately that's almost never true.

So these comments can be reframed as "give specific answers," which is the oldest (and wisest) trick in the resume book. Think of a different field: A marketer does not say "I do marketing," or even "I drive web traffic" on their CV, at least not the ones that get the job. They say "I increased web traffic 78% through social media channels," and "I increased email click-through-rates by 30%." These numbers not only sound realistic, but the fact that they're listed at all demonstrates that the candidate knows what they're talking about.

A few more rules of thumb:
    • As mentioned, personal info like DOB, religion (you'd be surprised), etc are irrelevant to the job--and that's a GOOD thing.
    • Live in the past-tense. This is hard if you're just starting, but shy away from what you "can" do and stake a claim in what you HAVE done. "I added these tools" or "I increased these efficiencies."
    • Don't just be specific--quantify. Not just "I can create a VPN," but how many? How often? How big a network? What were the results (increase in speed, security, productivity, etc)?
    • Don't by shy about side-projects. This is so, so important for entry-level gigs. So many people say "well the only real job I've ever had was this one..." but you know you've done things for your school, club, website, freelance gig, etc. List them! Having side-projects demonstrates initiative and experience that is otherwise very hard to prove for an entry-level job seeker.

WIP: PMP
    cBooM likes this.
  8. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

ok, guys, I took in consideration all your advice and I changed my CV once again. If you can say that, I tried to be as honest as possible, taking out the things I have no idea about, so basically now everything that is written - I have experience with that.
    Please, have a look and tell what you think about.
    I want to thank you once again for your great tips and helping me to find myself and get on the right road on this journey ;) You are awesome !

Attached Files:

9. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

The interesting part of the initial post:

"I graduated in Law" and "I have to lie" - what an odd combination...

Be creative in how you say what you say, but at least be truthful.

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  10. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

it's really easy to criticize ... tell me, what would you do in my situation ? I studied 4 years a discipline and got graduated .. while doing this I didn't work officially, but I have been helping my father in the court, where the things I've seen made me understand this field is not for me .. at least in my country ... Why ? because in our country it's like in hell .. probably I shouldn't say it, but what the hell .. my father is a judge, his salary is around 9000 lei, which is around 300-350 pounds ... PER MONTH !!! the court clerk, which I wrote in the CV gets maximum 3500 lei, which is 100-120 pounds .. PER MONTH !! it is impossible to live with this money, even if you have already a house .. all the other prices are the same as in Europe, many even bigger .. the only way to survive is to do "dirty" deals or just stay at home waiting for money from abroad .. probably at least 1/3 of the country is working in foreign countries ..
    My nature doesn't allow me to be corrupt and get in such stressful situations, so I decided to give my best in a civilized country. And to what have I come ? I have a degree in LAW which nobody gives a shite in this country, so I have to start absolutely everything from the bottom.. but the competition is very big and most likely everybody else is lying too ...
    I am not a bad person, I never wrote something in my CV that I have no idea about .. I am just fed up of working in the hospitality field and really want a decent job, that I am confident I will do better than many other people ..

Anyway ... no feedback about my new CV ? :(

11. scott28tt

scott28tt Byte Poster

I sympathise with your situation, we all face stresses no matter which country we live in, but saying things like "everybody else is lying too..." isn't going to endear you to people.

I've not looked at your CV, I don't know if anything in it would be true, sorry.

Certifications: VCP2, VCP3, VCP4, VCP5, VCAP4-DCA, VCI, MCSE (NT-2003)
  12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

See like Scott I take offense that everyone lies on their CV. I for one am more than happy that what's on my CV is 100% accurate, I have seen far too many people get burnt by lies on their CV and it can very quickly escalate if you embellish your CV beyond what you're capable of.

My advice has always been to stick to the truth and that's it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  13. cBooM

cBooM Bit Poster

I apologize if I offended you, probably I didn't use the right words .. I wanted to say that, because of the competition, a lot of people as well lie in their CV .. and you can't deny this ..
    Anyway, I got your point and I wont bother you anymore with this ..
    I just want to say that I asked for your opinions, hoping to get a CV that will help me get interviews for entry level jobs, for which I possess the needed capabilities ... I never asked for tips on how to fool a HR in order to get a job I dont have the qualifications for
    Anyway, I have learned my lesson .. at the moment I am studying to get a/some certification(s), after which I am sure I will have more chances with a normal CV ... no lies !!!

Thank you guys

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have just posted a couple of my CV's on the site, have a look at the thread and see if they are any use to you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    cBooM likes this.
  15. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I remember when I was in an interview once telling the interviewer my hobbies were music producing etc and I had an album coming out soon etc lol, I have no idea why I said this it just came out randomly... Anyway I got the job and she kept asking to hear my music etc for a good 3 months and everyone thought I was some bigtime song writer. Not sure why as I was working for minimum wage.. if I was that big in the music industry I wouldnt have worked there..