What course for web development/design?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by saint_david, Aug 8, 2008.

1. saint_david

saint_david New Member

Hello, new here and have been advised to ask this question on this forum.

My employers were just about to provide funding for me to undertake a web management degree at my local uni on a part time basis. Unfortunately the uni have decided to no longer offer the degree on a part time basis, which im really gutted about.

Basically, are there any other recognised courses in web design/development that i could do instead outside of uni? Like i said i'm really gutted about the degree but hopefully there might be other courses i could take, providing i can still get funding.

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hi there and welcome to the forums first of all. :)

As for your question it may be worth checking to see if other universities offer a similar course. Different universities often offer different courses. If you wanted to gain a certification in a particular area (e.g. ASP websites, CSS coding etc) then this would be the best way to find out.

My other suggestion would be to pop into your local college. Colleges are far more likely to offer part-time courses (from personal experience). If this also fails you could always look into the Open University (link is here). They offer a range of courses which can be completed from the comfort of your own home.

As far as I'm aware there are no specfic standards for this type of expertise (on par with Microsoft's MCDST, MCSE etc). Additionally... most people doing web-design build up a portfolio in order to show their skills to potential clients so perhaps this would be a good thing to start doing.

Hope this helps :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA