What could count as experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Addski, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Addski

Addski New Member

Hello All, this is my first post so i'll give a brief description of what i'm here for. Sorry if its a bore :sleeping

I'm looking for a career change away from what i've been doing for the last 10 years which is working for a small company dealing with accounts, design and marketing. In this time i've played around with computers quite a bit, i've put together about 10, set up LAN for 5 - 10 workstations in the office and dealt with any IT problems that may have arised in that time. I realised that due a lack of career prospects I had to move on and decided that I would look to move towards a career in IT (starting at helpdesk level), something I genuinely enjoy doing. I'm currently studying for A+ and will progress on to N+ hoping to complete both before D-day which will be around Feb - March next year.

Now for the question, how much will my previous experience as little as it may be count towards me getting a job? I've noticed that a lot of employers are looking for people with 2 years experience and its a little worrying.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You have experience of small business IT support in your current role, therefore, as far as I'm concerned you already have you foot in the door.

IT may not be your primary role in your organisation, but mention that it is a secondary role and you will be ok.

To any prospective employers you need to mention that you are responsible for your existing companies IT, and mention what you have experience of doing.

Built 5 PC's? - You have just planned and implemented a desktop rollout for your company.

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Yes not to mention 'project managed' the rollout as well.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. Addski

Addski New Member

Thanks guys, you have put my mind at rest.
    Cheers for the welcome, I think i'll be spending a lot of time here over the next year :biggrin

5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

welcome, addski.

despite what the others said, i want to point out that it's okay (and common practice) to embellish and exaggerate a little, but personally i think "desktop rollout" and "project management" is a bit too much.

6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Was it planned out before hand or did you just go along.

The words project management probably go a bit far if it was just you doing it and you weren't co ordinating other people, but it's definitely an IT project that you implemented and can cite on your CV albeit a small one.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. Addski

Addski New Member

I assisted the engineer who installed the network originally and then upgraded the switches and wireless router on my own fairly recently. It was a small project but it was good experience

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds good, the IT experience you have followed by certs should be enough to get you into an entry level IT job.

Why not install a Small Business Server in your office for more experience?

Have I taken this too far?!? :oops:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. postal postie

postal postie Nibble Poster

i'd think that the prospective employer would take your descriptive wording of your experience as a plus.

makes it look like your actually thinking and able to talk yourself up.
    this means that you must be motivated and know your own worth.
    of course they could just laugh you out the interview :)