What Certifications are best

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by cyrusxerox, Aug 30, 2017.

1. cyrusxerox

cyrusxerox New Member

Hello everyone I'm new to the forum and just come across it, well basically my story is I'm a Computer Science graduate with prior college level IT educational background. All together I have a 7 year IT and ComSci educational background.

I am looking to get into the IT support field as I originally planned to become a developer however I feel I would best suited for a 1st Line Support role, as programming is not something I am really passionate about. Its been a while since I graduated and I have applied for roles in the IT sector and gotten interviews however I do not have any relevant experience in IT or the role I am after and I keep getting no. Every time I go for a interview its the technical part I dread as I'm beginning to forget a lot of what I learnt.

Right now I am looking to pursue some training and certifications to update my skills and perform better in technical parts of interviews. So far with my background I wanted to really get to grips more with what would be required of me in a IT support role

These were 4 of the certifications I originally planned on taking that would help in that role
    -CompTIA A+
    -MCSA Windows 10
    -MCSA Windows Server 2012 Active Directory Configuration
    -Cisco CCNA

With a lot of the jobs I am applying for they do require skills in Citrix as well as ITIL knowledge. Do I really have to do this many certifications for me to get a real foothold and advantage for the role, I know experience still trumps having certifications. Any advice would be great, thanks

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. I think its hard to really say what to go for, I got a Job with just an MTA, If I had to advise what cert to go for I'd say ITIL and MCSA Windows 10, however its worth learning some of the A+ content but in regards to obtaining the cert I wouldnt bother, unless you live in the US where A+ is seen as a must. Also ITIL is really not that hard, I studied for two days and passed. I bought a UDEMY course for £6 and that was enough.. pricey exam though, think it cost me like £130..