What certification to take next?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by chrismax2, Jan 7, 2007.

1. chrismax2

chrismax2 New Member

Hi I am hopefully going to get my MCDST qualification in 8 days time. I currently been working on a IT helpdesk for 2 and a half years and I think I want to move on to 2nd line or something in that area.

However I am not sure what to take next, I am thinking of ether A+, or a Linux Certification (but know nothing about that) or wait for the VISTA upgrade certification, which I am going to do at some point and then head up to MCSA.

But with the experience and the qualifications I got what is best? I also have a HNC in Computing. I realise it depends on what I want to do for a job but it's very wide range I guess I want to keep fixing PC's but it would be nice not to be stuck in a office all day.

Chris

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Personally, I think the requirement for Vista certs is a long way off...

I assume you're already well into your MCDST - even Boyce took longer than 8 days to complete it!

:D

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Chris,

If you have been supporting users with XP and the office suite for two and a half years, you should find the MCDST straight forward.

I found it a lot easier than the 270, but that could be because I did it afterwards! :oops:

One thing to remember about the MS exams, is that although the answers need to be correct (doh) there is a certain percentage on what I would call the *MS way*.

For example, someone I know has been using Windows 2003 since it came out in a pretty big environment. You would have thought he could walk in and pass the 290 exam without breaking a sweat - no. There is a fair bit that they want people to memorise and preach to their and possibly your customers.
    This includes the differences and efficiency between platforms, best version for scenerio, specification etc - My friend said he couldn't even guess the spec as he never had the need to!

As for the A+, do it to learn the concepts, but don't rely on it to *butter up* your CV - added with the Network + it will count as an elective for MCSA.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. chrismax2

chrismax2 New Member

Sorry should of made it clear I got70-271 in August and been studying 70-271 now.

But thanks guys, Yeah I know the Microsoft way is different thanks anyway.

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

like its been said vista certs can be put at the bottom of the pile... the OS is about to be released in a few weeks then i think we will know how the market will react and then we will all rush to get upgrades. I would say go with the Network+ after you done your MCDST.

The reason i say N+ is because A+ at this time wont help you finding a job BUT they Network+ will help you witht your MCSA plus give you a solid grounding in networking.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Moved to MCDST board :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity