What Cert ?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by spitfirebbmf, Aug 9, 2007.

1. spitfirebbmf

spitfirebbmf Bit Poster

hi all,

I have not been able to get CIW to change their policies on shipment to the Uk so that cert is out of the question.
    I would like to get into web development and programming I have 4 years exp building Pc's no other exp. I'm not interested in networks MCSE etc.
    I would like some help designing a study route so I can pass the MCAD,MCSD,MCTS,MCPD but dont really know which one(s) to take, which language to learn.
    Are any of the COMPTIA certs any good i+ etc ?
    I'm thinking of learning visual basic 2005 step by step as the first step what do you think ?
    All the help suggested will be great.

Thanks

Paul

PS what sort of time frame will it take say for MCPD, i know it depends on time studying but a rough idea would be cool

WIP: A+
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The first thing you must do is learn to program, it varies but for someone without prior programming experience I'd say you are probably talking about a years study to learn the basics. To become proficient in harder languages or to learn more advanced concepts will take longer, probably several years. I'd reccomend learning something like C# or Java if you want a job in web development. Others to consider could be PHP or Ruby, but I'd stick to something more mainstream for the time being, I've never been a fan of BASIC personally and dislike the syntax, also alot of places seem to prefer C#, although bills gonna hate me for saying that ! :biggrin

Personally I didn't take certs to get into programming I did a HND and I'd reccomend this really. I wouldn't really advise doing the Microsoft certs until you've got at least a years on the job experience ideally, but maybe i'm just old school :oops: Many people seem to be doing CIW / MCAD training courses so it is possible.

For someone without previous experience I would expect MCPD to take a couple of years at least.

3. Toadeh

Toadeh Nibble Poster

Yep, avoid the MCTS if you have no experience at programming. I'm fininding it difficult to remember all the bits and I have been writing software for years.

C# will get you a better job (allegidly) however, the only difference between C# and VB.Net is the syntax (and in C# you can create pointers). its a personal choice really. I use VB.Net at work but I can use either.

Best bet is to get the free visual studio c# or vb versions off microsoft http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/express/default.aspx and have a mess.

Certifications: BSc(Hons), MCTS Web Development
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've purchased official CIW course material from the UK before, so I'm not sure what the problem is...

They've got an office in Ireland.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. faery_gold

faery_gold New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm finding the certs quite difficult to comprehend too, I'd love some insight!

I graduated from uni last year (studied multimedia computing), the degree was quite general in the topics it covered but I found I really enjoyed, and was quite good at programming especially XML and Java.

Since graduating I haven't been able to get a job in the industry, I think this is probably because I lack the commercial experience. I'm keen to get my foot in the door and from what I've read getting certified might make me more marketable.

I've researched a couple of the certifications available, namely MCAD and CIW but I'm unsure which to go for. My skills have gotten a bit rusty since graduating so I could do with a certification that briefly covers the basics before teaching the more advanced aspects. There are so many microsoft certifications, I'm totally bamboozled as to which one to go for or even begin with!!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well it sounds like you already have the basic skills so you should be able to start on any of the cert programming tracks.

For Java Sun have the SCJP, its pretty tough but well respected.

Microsoft have MCAD as their entry level cert which can lead to MCSD. These certs are now in the process of being phased out in favour of the new MCPD cert. Peoples opinions differ over which ones are better to get at the moment, you can convert from MCAD/MCSD to MCPD. The most direct route to MCPD is to take the new exams on .Net 2.0. The new MCPD cert program requires recertification every 3 years, MCAD/MCSD is for life. The new MCPD exams are also fairly tough but probably for different reasons to the SCJP.

CIW isn't really a programmer cert from my understanding, more general web dev stuff.

Theres no guarantee any of these certs in themselves will net you a job but they can't hurt.

Best of luck, maybe I should get a PA ! :oops:

7. faery_gold

faery_gold New Member

Thanks for that, I'm really getting my headed twisted round trying to understand all this!

I think I'll pursue MCAD, that seems to be the route I want to go down. The next thing I've got to work out is what I exactly need to study to get the cert!

As far as I understand, if I wished to go down the self-study route I could buy the studykits for each exam and go through those independantly and then take the exam when I feel ready. Are there any legitimate sites that offer the exams at a reasonable price? I keep getting directed towards places like computeach that want to charge me the earth, surely it can't be that expensive!

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+