What are your new years resolutions and did you fulfil last years?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Mine:
    -Be more confident in myself
    -Take more risks
    -Stop quiting things I find difficult
    -try to build a better relationship with my misses
    -quit smoking vapour

Didn't make any last year :)

Pseudonym likes this.
  2. Mouratti

Mouratti Bit Poster

Quit smoking is the best option :)
    I like to archive this one to :)

and take at least 3 Certifications in 2016

3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I have stopped doing resolutions, I used to do the usual drivel like, ill be a better person,do this that and the other etc blah blah, but now I dont see the point.

Sure there are things i will do, but if I do, I do, if I don't I don't.

I tend to just do things as and when

I will get some certs behind me, but I wont carve that in stone etc

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am with Ed on this, I am who I am and a promise on NYD isn't going to change me unless I want to change.

With all the will in the world if I don't want to do something I will find a way out of doing it (looking at you Gym membership with a promise of going 3 times a week every week, that lasted three weeks in total).

I am of the mind that you're a long time dead and to just enjoy life how you want to enjoy it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Surely resolutions are nothing more than targets.. I think they are good idea, mine usually come from reviewing the year and concluding how I can improve my life over the next 12 months, I personally see the benefit in them, though I do understand where Ed and Simon are coming from, think it depends on the person.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I see them as promises to change that with all good intentions last a couple of weeks, I have no problems with improving yourself (after all that's why we are on a Certifications forum) but NY Resolutions aren't the same thing as improvements through certification.

Yes you can set yourself goals for the next year but again, they shouldn't be resolutions, they should be goals to aim for.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

I used to believe in ambitious goal setting (too many self help books)...but eventually I realised that just having goals wasn't actually spurring me on to do things differently, as I rarely had any goals I was completely and utterly passionate about....they were just vague abstract ideas which would improve my life if achieved, but weren't inspiring me to get off my jaxxy and work at changing my behaviours.

Then, of course, last year I heard a podcast with Scott Adams in which he discussed the same ideas around goal setting as he wrote on http://blog.dilbert.com/post/102964992706/goals-vs-systems

And now I don't really know WHAT I think

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646