what are these types of "network design" problems called in textbooks?

Discussion in 'CCENT / CCNA' started by shivaji, Jun 11, 2022.

1. shivaji

shivaji Bit Poster

design the loop free/redundant intranet for a bank having 5 branches in different locations with a central internet deparment. internet department contains dns, dhcp, email, ftp, webserver and database server. the internet department has been implemented the security mechanims like firewall,IDS and vpn. each branches have 50 computers each is provided internet facility. the bank has purchased a network of 2400:4206::/32 from APNIC. propose appropriate equipment(L1,L2,L3) and physical links for the intranet design with proper IP addresses allocation.

i want to learn them but i have no idea what to search. i have a solution manual of these questions and they do use subnetting as the main focus. but there are other parts as well but they seem subjective rather than objective.

the solution of this problem goes like this-:
    upload_2022-6-12_0-4-9.png

upload_2022-6-12_0-4-28.png

While I do understand some of the things written here, I need to read these stuffs properly, before getting confident and sure about the design so I am asking the question.
    Are there pre made tutorials for this?

2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

They are tricking you into overthinking a simple task. If your network has any implementation of spanning tree you have no loops. DHCP, firewall,IDS FTP, Email and vpn need - at most- a port forward. So all they are actually looking for is some IPv6 subnetting, which you have probably been taught already.

These trick questions are a normal part of the process.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    shivaji likes this.
  3. shivaji

shivaji Bit Poster

hmm yeah that is subnetting but i have no experience with arranging routers and stuffs. how do i learn that? (i know what they do though as i have taken proper networking class that taught from layer 1 to layer 7)

4. FlashDangerpants

Everything that you have in these labs can be simulated with Cisco Packet Tracer including all routing, switching and the basics of the client setup for FTP etc. So with a modest laptop you can get all that stuff done pretty well that way. Over at Udemy there are many courses that provide PT labs for ten bucks. You'll be up and running in no time if you start that way.

For extra depth, you could then move on to full virtualisation. In any virty platform such as hyper-v etc you can set up virtual machines and give them complex routing setups using generic routing platforms such as pfsense and vyos. That's pretty easy, if you know Cisco then vyos is not that complicated.

Or you can use dedicated network virtualisation platforms - GNS3 and EVE-NG. Those will let you run real images of Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto, Cumulus, and any other vendor you can think of. The downside is that you will spend a LOT of time setting up your system, and some of those vendors will be happier to let you have an image than others.

5. shivaji

shivaji Bit Poster

this is for written exam (no labs). plus the focus of the course doesn't look like to learn packet tracer from start.

6. FlashDangerpants

If you only want to learn what is necessary for this written test, then you only need to learn the subnetting.
    If you do want to know about routing and such, then you have to go beyond the course.
    But first it seems you will need to make up your mind, we can't help you with that.

7. shivaji

shivaji Bit Poster

yeah i think to save my time, i am learning only subnetting. the redundant network design given in my textbook(local author) is hilarious. do you have any guidance on how i implement that in paper? i don't want practical knowledge. i just want to arrange them in a way that it is redundant. my common sense tells me just make 2 of everything then it's redundant, but it is much more than that.

8. Company Miss

Company Miss New Member

But first it seems you will need to make up your mind, we can't help you with that.