What are the best Certs to take for Security

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dave, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave Bit Poster

Hi there,

Wondered if some of you seasoned people here could recommend a good Certification path for getting into the Security side of IT as this is an area that I would love to be involved in one day in the future?

I'm currently reading through the Security+ book and I would be looking to sit the exam early this year. After that, continuing with the MCSE and looking at picking Ubuntu along the way hopefully.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCP, MCDST, MCTA
    WIP: 70-290 & Linux+
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

How much experience do you have in IT?
    Security+ is probably a good start, but in my opinion it isn't the place to start. It's easier to apply security aspects and knowledge once there's an understanding to what is being secured.

The next question is what type type of security are interested in? Vendors have some very targeted certifications (i.e. Cisco Network Security or MCSE Security). Otherwise, like the Security+, there are vendor neutral options like the ones offered by (ISC)²

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

All depends on what your job role is but in general Security+ is a great first step and CISSP is considered the top cert in security in general, although there are a number of prerequisites before you can get it. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs