What are the benefits of certification to you?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by onoski, Jun 20, 2008.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I study for my certifications through self study i.e. I buy the books and set up a suitable lab using VMWare Server for virtualisation of other operating systems on one computer. This way there is no damage done to my main computer system.

The reason I find studying for certification a benefit to me is that it helps reinforce the theoretical aspect of the job I carry out on a daily basis. At work we've recently upgraded our Citrix farm from five servers to three using the new HP blade servers and Citrix presentation server 4.5.

I recently at work was tasked with rolling out our new Touchpaper service desk logging software database working along side a consultant from Touchpaper. He said to me you're quite knowledgeable considering you know how to install SQL server 2005 and all the required patches and you're not a DBA.

I would by no means say am expert in databases, but whilst at university we were taught the theorical aspects of database management systems.

I then took the initiative to study on my own by installing a download version of SQL server 2005 stand alone edition. Having done this helped further put theory into practice as well as regurgitated the little I'd already known.

Although, I do have some hands on working and implementation experience on supporting our Citrix farm infrastructure the studying of a cert in this area further enlightens me.

The other benefit if and when I attain the certification is that it would help put me in a good steed for a potential job role in restropect.

I am also currently studying for the MCSE 2003, would be sitting the 70-291 very soon, again the benefit of studying for this cert is that it has shown me short cuts I'd never used at work before.

I must however, also emphasize that it has been hard work reading and practicing for certification as I don't just want to pass an exam for passing sake.

Hence I want to be able to troubleshoot a real scenario in real life and put theory to practice. Lastly, having the cert would help me in my future job hunt prospects. Lastly so I'd pose the question again, what are the benefits of cert or certifying to you?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

For me looking at these sites that show, get A+ earn 23k a year, i mean i see through that straight away.

I mean 23k for just an A+ technician is beyond rediculous, they dont account for other certs or experience.

So that rules out being certified for monetary reasons.

The 2nd reason is one of self worth, now there are several areas im proficient in, but not certified in, which i would like to be, now when people talk about what they have, cert or qualification wise i could either be envious, or actually have done something about it.
    Also It gives me goals and something to focus on, ask any successful business person or indeed from any walk of life, and they say number way to success is to set achievable short term goals, with a long term goal in mind.

I spent several years working in IT, in small businesses basically running the show without any qualifications, just i had displayed ability and competance in interviews and obviously in the job roles.
    Unfortunately as far as im concerned those days have gone, and while recruitment agencies would only put me forward for lesser support roles, because of lack of certification, so thats reason 3.

Reason 4 is the ability to show credentials for a future desire of mine, which is to go solo.
    A website with CCNA/MCSE/Citrix and am considering a masters, would mean I have a much better list of "endorsements" shall we say, than without.

Also the learning, I have been pretty thorough with my self study, I have used books, practicals and CBTs, which meant i have filled gaps in my knowledge, and also some of the things I have taken for granted, I have had anothr viewpoint on.

Reason 6, well isnt it nice to have a wall full of framed certificates?

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for sharing kevicho, as those are spot on valid reasons and some I didn't list or taught of too:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  4. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

More $$$ come evaluation time. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

For me, certification is there to :

1) confirm knowledge obtained through experience

2) consolidate knowledge and fill in any missing gaps

3) ultimately, combined with work experience, lead to better and higher paid positions

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would hope that applies to everyone, would be great especially if it does eventually make HR add more £££'s to your efforts:)

7. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I want to be able to respond to a wide variety of technical questions on the spot without having to go to google first.
    Of course experience plays a big role in that as well.

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I suppose for me it's a mixture of a few things:

I wanted to stop myself going insane because of work. Work is not much fun, and I found that doing the studying for the exams has been very theraputic.

I never took any exams all those years ago when I started out in IT. There were so many 'papercert-guys' around, it seemed pointless. However, I recently decided that I wanted to prove to myself (no one else) that I could hack it, and that I did know my stuff. The certs won't earn me extra wonga, but I feel good from having understood something enough to be able to pass, and pass well.

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A career. 8) hah! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You'd be surprised:)

11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I wish you were right mate. I'd love to earn megabucks doing what I enjoy... :biggrin

Until, and unless, that happens I shall keep on learning... and going for my exams. 8)

12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's the attitude, well done and well said:)

13. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I think I was trying to sway that one, glad to know though:)

14. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My reasons are pretty much what others have said:

1) to build a career for myself, there's so much competition with these paper-certs and recuitment agencies you won't get through (less likely at least) the sifting process without them.
    2) to prove something to myself, to show that I can do the job, and I know what I'm doing :p
    3) fill my knowledge gap - in my MCDST, there were definitely some things I'd never touched, never had to, and I feel they were a worthwhile contribution to my knowledge as a whole.
    4) extra cash, not as much, more extra responsibility is what I'm after and hopefully it'll work :)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You're right, as your 1st point above is what prompted me to start studying for certs and improve my job and future career prospects. There were times I was not put forward for a job role because I did not have the MCSA and or MCSE.

It's nice to know we're thinking on the same level etc:)

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've already gone through the Mike Meyers A+, going to take some of the practice tests from the CD at the back of the book then save for the exams.

I see certifications as black and white proof of pratical knowledge.

I have been exposed to computers from a very early age, however I have nothing to show for it in an IT support sense. I do have City and Guilds Qualifications, but that only shows that I'm competent in using spreadsheets, word processors and databases, which are now years out of date.

I still have extra money as a motivating factor.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Certifications to me are a way of proving to employers (and yourself) that you know your stuff, and to the right company will hopefully lead to a higher salary with associated experience to back it up.