What are companies looking for

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by ciscowannabe, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ciscowannabe

ciscowannabe New Member

I already hold MCSE (3YRS EXPERIANCE) CCNA, CCNA Voice and CCNA Security (no experiance in cisco) What else could i add to this in order for me to be noticed. I was thinking about VMware.

Thank you for your advice

2. oush

oush Byte Poster

it really depends on what route yo uwant to go down... Networks or server support?

Certifications: MCITP: EA, Linux+, CCNA, CCDA
    WIP: CCIP
  3. ciscowannabe

ciscowannabe New Member

Love to do networks and maybe one day do security

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Well they say experience beats everything... You do have the certifications and some experience, that's a good thing... you just have to find a way to get more... from my understanding an average network admins been in the industry from 5-10 years... At least from what I've been told.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

How about a CCNP then?

VMWare is waaaaay different to networks, and it'll also cost a far to get a VCP3/4 due to the obligatory 1 week course.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've got no experience in Cisco, then you're WAY overcertified on the Cisco side already. Being overcertified without the experience to back it up can often work against you when applying for a job, believe it or not.

You say that you have 3 years of experience... is that 3 years of having the MCSE, 3 years in IT, or 3 years of experience administering servers? There's a big difference with each of those.

What is your current or previous IT role?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ciscowannabe

ciscowannabe New Member

Im working in administering servers. plus sql 2005 server.

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then since you already have the MCSE, you're probably certified enough (and overcertified on the Cisco side). You could grab the MCTS and MCITP SQL 2005 certs, if you want...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!