What a headache!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by simongrahamuk, Oct 11, 2005.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok guy's I just thought that i'd let you know how much of a nightmare I've been having at work over the last two days, it's as much of a vent for me as anything else.

On Saturday night we apparently had a powercut that lasted for two hours at work. This caused the UPS's to kick in on the servers, unfortunately they only have about 10 mins of charge in them, and are set to shutdown the server after 5.

Three of the four servers shutdown fine, and are running as they should. The fourth server, my File server didn't shutdown.

Anyway on monday morning I came in and turned on all of the servers (I didn't know about the power cuts at this stage). When I booted up my file server it started coming up with loads of corrupt files (I'm thinking what's going on here), so I logged on and it is running really really slow, and keeps telling me of corrupt files.

Thinking that it may just be a problem with the disks I ran a check disk, this took absoultely ages (there's a Terabyte of space). This seemed to fix the problem with the server running slow.

upon getting into the server I'm still noticing loads of corrupt file messages, so I decided to restore from friday nights backup, this took two hours to back up, and then 10 hours to restore!

This now brings me to this morning, where I discovered that the restore had failed! Upon looking at the logs I notice that it's having problems writing to the disk.

Checking disk management I discover that the RAID 5 volume has become un synchronised, so I re sync, which then takes most of this morning to complete.

At 11:00 today it was on 83% complete, at 12:00 it was still on 83%. So I go to have a look at the task manager, guess what, it's crashed!!!!

So this now brings me to about an hour ago, when I restarted the server, got in to disk management, and guess what, it tells me that the RAID 5 volume has failed!

So at present I've had to delete the volume, recreate the volume (which it is now doing) then format the volume, then I'll have to restore the data!

I'm Phoning in sick tomorrow!

Still, it's all good fun! Just wish that people would stop bothering me and asking when it will be fixed. If you stopped asking me and let me get on with it it'd be a lot sooner!

:dry

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Wow, what a nightmare. Sounds complicated to me! Hope it's all okay now.

Lol, that's why I'm not a hardware person...I prefer the software, programming side of IT cos if anything goes wrong, I can blame it on the servers or hardware problem :p

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

All sorted now thanks Sneezie, well sort of! :biggrin

5. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

:cheeseyg

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+