what a day ! Transport troubles

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Clyde, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

For all of you who long for the glitz and glamour of London, a salutory tale....

Left the house today at 7:15 to get the bus.
    7:20 arrived panting at bus stop after 100m sprint after seeing bus pull in only to see bus leaving as I got there
    7:40 get next bus (am running late now)
    7:55 arrive at Harrow & Wealdstone
    8:05 Missed connection to Clapham means I get delayed train to Euston.(and hence to Waterloo and onwards via clapham)
    8:20 Get underground connection to Waterloo
    8:35 Arrive in Waterloo to find the place in chaos due to late running engineering works and a fire! Expect delays of up to an hour.
    9:15 get a train to XXXX (closest to where I work)
    9:35 arrive at XXX and immediately get a bus for my final destination (yes!)
    9:38 get diverted due to massive traffic accident
    10.00 arrive at work!

Normally I'd be at work for 8:45

I'm looking forward already to the return trip! :cry:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

thats what you get for living and working in these outskirt places

7:00 : leave house
    7:04 : catch bus
    7:50 : arrive at Liverpool street
    8:00 : grab some breakky from benjys
    8:05 : arrive at work, 55 mins early

off to swindon now for a meeting, home padingtons not in as much chaos as waterloo!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

well, we don't all have that luxury... wish I were back in the old days of 15 minute walk to work !

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Phoenix, where do you work that makes you want to arrive nearly an hour early? Playboy Magazine?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I get to walk to work. Takes 15 minutes.

My sister lives in London - she walks to work. She used to work at Claridges and got the Underground everywhere. Used to leave about an hour and a half before clocking in :dry that just sucks!!

You guys should relocate to the country - come and spit tobacco into buckets and chase around tractors with me.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Phoenix you remind me of my ex fiancee...she always arrived at work at least an hour early...her reason? she needs the time to fully "wake up" then she is ready for work...I on the other hand would just wake up 10-20min before I am about to leave for work...brush me teeth, have a little wash...out the door, and 15min later I have walked to work...that was in Aberdeen...back in Newcastle...same rule applies but this time I get a metro train to the centre of Newcastle then about 10min later I get the bus which takes me to about 5min walk from work...now providing all goes well it normally takes about 30min...but there have been cases where its been 45min-1hr...but all I can say is thank God I no longer live in London....blimey talk about hustle and bustle!!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

6 a.m.: Wake up (actually, often I wake up earlier to do some work in the study but this is the latest I can wake up).
    6:02 a.m.: Wake my daughter up.
    6:30 a.m.: By this time, I've showered, brushed my teeth, gotten dressed, etc...If I've had enough time, I've even shaved. If not...oh well. :rolleyes:
    6:30 to 6:40 a.m.: Depending on how efficient my daughter is, we leave for her school. She's still just got her permit, so I have to sit "shotgun" while she drives.
    6:50 to 7 a.m. Arrive at her school. Drop her off and I drive back home.
    7:20 a.m. Arrive back home and finish breakfast, packing up, making my lunch and such.
    7:30 to 7:40 a.m. Depending on how efficient I am, I leave for work.
    8 a.m. to 8:10 a.m. I drive the eight miles to work.
    Arrival and departure times in my little software company are somewhat flexible as long as I work (more or less) eight hours a day. This makes it a lot easier on my nerves since I don't have to stress over being 5 or 10 minutes late. I'm really a bug about time. I've had to work for years to *not* arrive places 30 minutes early. At my age, I finally figured out that I'll last longer if I'm not such a control freak. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

wow, early starts all round.

if i'm working at 8 i get up at 7.10,
    7.20 - out of the shower
    7.30 - finish off breakfast, v healthy, cup of tea and a cigarette
    7.35 - out the door to work
    7.50 - arrive in work after a 15 min stroll

the joys of living and working in edinburgh - everything is pretty close by.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  9. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

usually get up at 6 for an 8.30 start but have been known, and this is a good skill to have, to get ready and get to work in less than 15 mins!

that is, wash, shave, dressed and at work.

a result of living in Germany with cheap beer and "sleeping" in,

bear in mind that i have always lived on camp or within 5 mins of work and always in the sticks too.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Being close to work is the obvious helper!!

I often get up at 7.30/40 for an 8.30 start, normally getting into work at around 8.15.

I find it easy not being the type of woman that feels obliged to cake herself in makeup for work. There's no one in my office to impress, so the pressure is right off :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

VPN...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, I used to do that, see what my appointments were for the day and what time, then get up appropriately.

Now I have to go to work. :(

13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

im not up that early every day
    i dont get to work early every day either
    if i leave at 8 i can be there by 9 but it means catching the tube, bus is supposed to be 45 mins but not at that time, get screwed by traffic

from 7:30 onwards buses are standing room only, so the earlier i leave, the more comfy my trip to work is
    and being i can sit and browse the net and enjoy a nice bit of breakfast, its really not a big deal, as its just what i would do at home

i hear that clyde, i used to be able to catch the 8:50 train two stops to work by 9:15, loved it :)
    back in the city now though!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

if only.. as a trainer however, my physical presence is required...