Well it's Official...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by westernkings, May 13, 2010.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I have just got two replies from companies saying:

I am now officially above first and SOME second line roles after 17 months in IT. It feels kind of good to read them emails in a kind of sick way.

But my point is this, how should candidates reinforce their interest in the role and do you guys think it is even possible in this example, for me to convince them other wise? is it right for an employer to just write you off because they THINK you could get bored, maybe I should say "I wouldn't have applied if I thought I would get bored".

So good and bad in one.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Tell them that you are lazy and don't like being challenged

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. westernkings

LOL. Good one. :biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

:blink

Bugger. Dumb down the CV if you've got to. Or go for third line:biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

You cant really do anything other than pretend you dont know as much as you really do.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I think this is good news mate and my advice to you is: Aim higher! Sky's the limit for you my friend

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. westernkings

Indeed, I think it's good news, means I am clearly advancing, and I'm not one who wants to sit in 1st and second line support for 10 years. I want to be senior by the time i'm 25+. Bad news because I could of done with the job, although I think I may be getting my old job back YAY!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You really don't have anything to lose by writing to them and again expressing interest in the job. The worst they can say is, "Sorry, no."

Is it right for them to write you off? Absolutely, and this is what I try to tell people who get overcertified. Not that you are overcertified... in fact, at a quick glance, your certifications seem to line up pretty well with your experience! But with all those certifications after only 17 months in IT, it *does* look like you are VERY motivated to succeed (as you should be!)... and some employers are scared off by that. Had my first two employers known I would leave them after 7 months and 4 months, would they have hired me? Probably not. Was I bored in those jobs? Absolutely not... but how could I turn down TWO $10K pay increases? Those employers won't tell you this, but THAT is as much a reason for them not hiring you as their belief that you'll get bored - but both boil down to the same thing: something "better" will likely come along, and you'll take it.

And... they might just be right. After all, you plan on advancing, as you said in your OP. ;)

So what's the solution? How do you tweak your CV so that you'll look attractive to employers, yet not scare them off? I don't think there's an easy answer to that, because there's no way to know the exact mindset of the employer. Best you can do is to tweak your CV to the particular job so that you look like the perfect employee for that job. If they pass you over... that's their loss... they coulda had a good, motivated employee who loves to learn for cheaper than someone who has more years in the field.

Continue to plug away at those jobs... and go ahead and cast your line for the next-higher jobs. Worst they can say is "No." :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah well its all fate then mate. Well done on building a successful career already

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

I would definitly dumb down your CV. Look at the job spec and what they are looking for than tailor the CV to that job spec.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  11. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

What benefit does dumbing down a CV give you over aiming higher? Because I quite don't get it.

Well done WK! Good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  12. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

Will, if you need a job especially 1st line/2nd role where your CV clearly show you are over qualified for the role, than employers tend not to hire you as mentioned by WK.

Its all good and dandy aiming for higher, but if you don't have a job, you take what ever comes to you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I had that exact same problem with a company, the manager looked at my CV and refused to interview me. I told the agency that I wanted to see them anyway, that whilst I may have been over qualified I wouldn't have applied for it if I didn't want it. I managed to persuade them to interview me and I actually got the job and worked for them for 21 months, there were times when I was bored but there were also times when I worked 70 hour weeks because it was needed.

As others have said, the worst that they can do is say no, but if you have a good arguement as to why you think you should be interviewed that will help.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

@Dave: Fair enough but he's not gonna get this job anyway so further applications can aim higher as well as 2nd line (I doubt WK is interested in 1st line). Thing is that not telling what you know might cost you a job as you might stand against the others who did not dumb down their CVs.
    Personally I think in this case he was just unlucky or the company is looking for someone who don't want to progress further and won't be given a chance to progress. In such scenario WK wouldn't be any good to them as they can see right away that he will want to advance sooner than later.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. That's why people with Masters degrees aren't usually hired to be fry cooks at McDs.

Yep. And you craft your CV to the job you're applying for.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!