Well, I'm stoked today

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yesterday I was told the company I am consulting/working for is going to start sending me on some training seminars for some of the new technology we are going to start dealing with as we upgrade our site and expand.

It's a good sign when businesses want to start investing money in you for the future, and this just makes my day. I'm just really excited about all the new stuff I'm going to be learning and the chance to "spread my wings and take off". All those years of sitting in my basement learning fundamentals 12-14 hours a day are finally starting to pay off, and, WOW, does it feel good.

I'd almost given up hope that I'd ever be given an opportunity to really show what I'm capable of as I had job hunted fruitlessly for so long, so this is especially sweet.

I'd show a picture of me dancing a jig, but the sight of a fat man dancing is NOT a pretty sight so I'll leave you with dancing penguins instead. (Just gotta get a Linux plug in here somehow.) :twisted:

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats! :clap

Any idea on the types of courses you'll get the opportunity to go on, or is it early days yet?

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. ffreeloader

Yeah, the first issue I'll be getting raining on is Zope/Plone. We are in the process of documenting the entire business and all our technical infrastructure, of which we currently have no documentation, and putting in on Zope/Plone for a real world test for moving forward to eventually moving the entire web application the company sells to this platform in the future. We will probably also move all the sites we host to this too as we develop those also.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You da man, (penguin...clown...hobo?), Freddy. :biggrin
    Congratulations.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Congrats mate, sounds excellent! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations freddy, you can come out of the basement now :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. ffreeloader

LOL. Well, actually, I'm still in my basement most of the time. I do most of my work by long distance. I ssh in for all work I can do at a bash prompt, and then use vncviewer tunneled over ssh, so it's secure, to do anything I have to do from the gui, and yes, there are a few things I have to do from a gui, the desktop applications I have to use.

And while I'm at it.... Congrats on the new job to you too. Hopefully something will come along for you in the IT end of things that is what you're looking for.

I have no idea as to how much experience you have, but if you're working something like a swing shift have you considered finding someplace that does exactly what you're interested in and seeing if you can intern for a few months during the mornings? I'm convinced, and so is my DVR counselor, that internships are a much better avenue towards finding a job in IT for the newbie than volunteering. Why? Because a potential employer is seeing your work ethic and desire every day, and getting to know you. First hand knowledge is always better than third party references.

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Freddy congrats! Sounds like a lot of fun is heading your way.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Keep it up freddy and the next thing you know you'll be installing server 2003 and then it's downhill from there, welcome to the dark side. :twisted:

All jokes aside, great news for you mate. Congrats.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Congrats Freddy, as hard work and persistence does pay off eventually. Who said it can't be done? Cheerio:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Nice one, Freddy :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is great news Freddy. Congratulations!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Excellent news Freddy!:biggrin

Keep us posted of how the training goes8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  15. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Good news Freddy. Any change you're going to do something with W2K8? (This is an open door, I know).

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  16. ffreeloader

Uhhh... Is your shorthand referring to Windows Server 2008? If so, no. No small business can really afford to run Windows servers. By the time you figure out the price of a few web servers, a few database servers, and all the proprietary development tools, it adds a rather large chunk of change to the cost of doing business.

And, neither I, nor the owner, trusts MS to keep their fingers out of our servers. We are quite happy with Debian, Apache2.2, MySQL5.1, Exim4, vsftpd, and all the open source resources we need such as php, python, perl, excellent content management systems such as Zope/Plone, and good web development tools such as Kompozer(was Nvu), scripting editors such as Quanta, and IDE's such as Eric and Eclipse. We also have very good open source security tools such as nmap, nikto, Bastille, Snort, and a whole lot more including several Live CD's designed for security testing.

I can't really see the sense in putting all that money out for licenses or being tied to MS's upgrade schedule(which is rather expensive in and of itself). Open source allows us to move in any direction we so desire. I really see no advantage whatsoever in any move to Windows. All it would do is cost us more money, and most likely lower our level of security. Not that I'm the greatest security expert in the world, but I'm learning and I'm getting far more familiar with how to lock things down. I still have a long ways to go, but one of these days the sites I manage will take some real effort to crack.

17. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

So you are definitely not switching to MS. OK, no harm there. I was more asking if you are going to get yourself acquinted with MS windows 2008 server. It never harms to know your opponents.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  18. ffreeloader

At this point, I don't think so. Not because it wouldn't be interesting, but because of the cost. I've been broke a long, long time as I've been out of work for 5 years, and I have a lot of other places where I need to spend any money I have that come long before playing with a Windows OS.

If it wasn't for Linux there is no way I could have stayed with any kind of current technology.