Well Heelllooo

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by utero, Mar 5, 2010.

1. utero

utero New Member

Stumbled across these forums as I try and make sense of the mindfield that is IT training. I've just turned 31 and have spent the last few years just ambling about trying different things as I have no ties, dependants etc. But now I want to settle into a career, having started in computer retail I picked up the technical side of things quite quickly and would like to get involved in .net development.

Should anyone have any advice on how to learn this effectively I'm all ears!

2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Hello and welcome!

Learning to program is (relatively) easy, the trick is learning to do it right which takes a bit more effort :p

Any particular reason your going for .NET? If your open to other ideas then you can get some knowledge of programming and software engineering principles via (of all things) iTunes. If you take a look at iTunes U they've got the entire course for one of Stanford's Comp Sci units (CS106A Programming Methodology). The whole things taught in Java and will give you a good grounding in OOP etc.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. utero

utero New Member

no reason I suppose, obviously I want to get a decent job and eventually be earning about £30k in the next few years. Looking around at jobs I just thought .net was the standard now but as I'm new to the whole thing then I could be wrong. Apps for Iphone etc would interest me so is this a route I need to go down, I'll also take a look at this itunes thing you've mentioned - thanks

4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome and good luck with the studies:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.