Well, bummer...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Mar 9, 2009.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My son Michael is out of a job. He was sacked last Wednesday due to some sort of mistake he made on a print job at work. Sounds like it was about half his fault and half his manager's fault. In any event, he came over for dinner last night to tell us. I helped him get signed up for unemployment (and hopefully, under the current circumstances, he qualifies) and we gassed up his car and stocked him up on groceries.

This could be a blessing in disguise, since he's so much better than this job allows for and he needs to get out of his rut and fly.

On a brighter note, we did hear from David last night, he, the missus, and the little baby are all doing fine. Jury is still out on my daughter though. She's been rather surly lately and I don't think she's been doing well in school. The dark side of parenting older kids.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just goes to show that you're not done raising them just because they turn 18! :biggrin

Will say a prayer for each of them, James.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks, Michael.

4. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Wow he got sacked for one print mistake, that's pretty lousy. Well my thoughts go out to them for what its worth.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Well good luck for the little guy.. or big. or .. you know what i mean...
    I'm sure all will turn out good in the end.

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

Wikipedia says Idaho is one of the few states where there's an exception to the United Corporations of America's fascist at-will employment rule. I'd go see a lawyer, sounds malicious to me. I'm sure he can even find one that'll take it on for free (well, lawyer will get paid later). Aren't rules great! But what a bummer for them. :D LOL
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-wil...ons_.28aka._.22Implied-in-law.22_Contracts.29

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah its bad news there Trip. Like i said on twitter, my G/f lost her job last week, got the sack for a silly mistake. Turns out she's been told thier not even going to re-fill her posistion now.
    With the ecomomy the way it is, employers are looking to safe money anyway they can. So if they thing theres an excuse to sack soemone thier going to take it.

Hopefully though, your son will be able to find something soon. As for my G/f, at her age its going to be hard, we'll just have to do what we have to to survive.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

According to my son, the manager was looking for an excuse to fire him. This particular manager has been with a company for awhile but is relatively new at this store. He doesn't trust people he hasn't hired personally. It doesn't matter that my son knows that department forwards and backwards...even better than his immediate supervisor.

The way he described his mistake, it really *was* a stupid mistake and all because he was in a hurry.

Both my son's best friend and I think this may have been the kick in the pants he needed to look for something better or at least something else. He was totally underutilized at that job. His problem isn't brains and talent, but motivation. If he found something he truly loved, he'd really take off.

On a better note, I finally heard back from my daughter last night. She says she's doing fine, but I suspect she may be going through what I did at that age. Suddenly, in the middle of her higher educational career, she starts (probably) to ask herself, "What the heck am I doing and what does it all mean anyway?" I had to drop out of school and it took me years to figure out the answer to that question (and in some ways, I'm still searching). I hope she finds her answer more quickly.

9. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I've been there, and to be honest i dont think we ever stop wondering "What the heck am I doing and what does it all mean anyway?" and we all carry on searching for something that little bit better or more meaningful! Such is our lot in life.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Got a call from Michael (my son, not BM) last night saying he's got a job interview on Tuesday. Good luck. Called my daughter last night to verify her arrangements for coming home for spring break today. I seem to have caught her at a bad time. Hope she's less "surly" when I see her tonight.

Oh...and the missus has a vicious cold. Hacking and coughing in the other room. :rolleyes:

11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

My wife got strep... AGAIN... I went home early to help out last Thursday (and is why I've been largely absent from the forum for the past few days, trying to catch up).

Congrats on the interview news... keep us posted!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Jamie had her wisdom teeth out this morning. I also had some dental work done but nothing quite so extensive (although I did have a laser fired in my mouth...the smell and taste of burning flesh is no fun). On the bright side, my wife if feeling better. She decided to open all the windows in the house and turn on the fans to get rid of the germ-filled air. Nice, but I'm freezing :brrrr:

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what did your son do Trip?

If its news & magazine print (which I work in) it can be very ruthless there are also lots of arrogant ****ers in this trade.

The trade is indecline big time anyway because of the tiniternet. I give it 10 years and there wont be many newspapers about because its cheaper to put the news on the web.

I hope your son gets a job soon, we are currently in the **** and facing big redundancies although I have been told I'll be safe I am not sure wether I should believe that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hi worked in the print shop at one of those big, Office supply companies. He has a job interview today for some sort of phone support job. We'll see how it goes. Life is tough if you're unemployed right now.

15. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Keep us posted on how the interview went.

16. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Yes, keep us posted. Hope it all sorts itself out soon!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Just saw on Facebook that my son just got a job. :biggrin

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cool:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Even parents gotta hear about stuff on Facebook!

20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I may have to create a MySpace account just to keep up with my other son. :wink: