Welcome a Virgin

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ken Featley, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Ken Featley

Ken Featley New Member

Hello - this is the first time I have done this, so please forgive me if I commit any faux pas. I am trying to get a job in the IT field and have so far passed the C & G ITSST course. However, no one in the industry seems to have heard of it. I would like to do either A+ or MCSE next but am not sure which will get me a job quicker.

I have spoken to numerous people in the industry, and they say the problem is I don't have any experience. How can I get this without first getting a job?

Certifications: ITSST
    WIP: A+, MCSE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi there Ken, welcome to CF! :biggrin

I would advise you to start with the A+, as this is a cert for newbies to IT. The MCSE is designed for people with lots of experience, consists of 7 exams, and will be very hard to get without real experience.

Take a look around the Training and Development forum to see how others have managed to get experience.

:biggrin

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Virgins are always welcome!

(note to self: Did I type that, or just think it?)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Ken - welcome to CF. Read around as advised, and ask with any specific questions. You'll soon get a feel for what's required. Hope we can help :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums, Ken! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

welcome to the forums ken! as si said a+ would probably be the next step for you but just out of interest, what did your C & G ITSST course consist of?

:tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Ken and welcome, you have found the best place to find the right advice.

I would also recommend the A+(hardware and software), then the N+ (network essentials), then go for an MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional). Once you have done these, you can decide what direction to take. As already said, the MCSE would be over the top for someone new to IT but there is the MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator) that can be achieved with a combination of the right four MCP exams. There are other paths that are equally valid to take such as Cisco for example.

Good luck

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Ken :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Ken. Welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi ken,

welcome to CF, glad you joined us. here you will find loads of advice.

I still am trying to get my foot in the door. Have you tried voluntary work?
    A+ is probably the best foundation course around.

Keep at it matey, our time will come. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Hi Ken. Welcome to CF. :biggrin

The A+ seems to be the starter entry qualification. Doing that first will go some way to starting you on the road to MCSE.

As for experience, find out about night school classes at local colleges [look for short courses of a few weeks] as these will give you some basic hands-on. Another option is your very own PC build project will teach you a lot, assuming you have the cash to do this. If not buy an old PC for much less and use that to play with. Take it apart and rebuild it. Use it to partition and format the drives, install an OS, rip it apart so you have a basic motherboard with CPU and PSU set-up and add and remove devices to test beep codes and the POST, etc, etc.. Also, once you have read up a bit on the A+ and tinkered a bit at home consider contacting local business or organisations and offer your services to do some voluntary work. A few people here have secured a few hours per week this way for some hands-on in the 'real world' . NHS hospitals appear to be a decent starting point.

Good luck with it all. :)

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+