Weird logon behaviour! v. annoying!!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by ryanthelion84, Apr 13, 2008.

1. ryanthelion84

ryanthelion84 Nibble Poster

Studying for my 70-290 and am currently building a lot of user accounts and setting up roaming profiles.

My Test lab is a windows 2003 server and an xp pro workstation.

I have a bunch of users that have been set up as per the lessons in my MS Press book, their login names are listed below:

Hank.Carbeck (pre2000 hcarbeck)
    Danielle.Tiedt (pre2000 dtiedt)

When logging onto the server, or the xp workstation these logins will only work if the pre2000 is used, yet if i change the login for one of the above to test.test it will work!! I gather it is some sort of login name naming convention set in policy somewhere to do with lengths of login names etc?! :confused3

Any ideas?!

Certifications: 70-290, PRINCEII Practioner, ITIL V3F
    WIP: VMWare ESX VCP
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The login name is the pre2k one or [email protected]

e.g [email protected]

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. C4sper

C4sper Byte Poster

a quick one: domain in native mode?

Certifications: ECDL, A+, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

for personal inprovement, play with it, but for the 290, there are other things you might wanna consentrate on

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  5. ryanthelion84

FYI...i carried on with the 70-290 in the meantime thanks....im not a retard!

It turns out it was the [email protected] that was required, not just firstname.lastname, and i believe that the reason for this was because it was in native mode at the time!

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not sure if that is the case mate, if you look at the Profile tab in active directory you can specify a UPN suffix (e.g domain.local) when creating a user account. If will have the local domain just now but in some network configs you may have to specify a UPN suffix.

Also if you access resources across domains you may get prompted for authentication. This can be in the format of <domain>\<username> or <username>@domain.local.

Ive had to add the @domain.local part to user accounts before when migrating domains as you may have duplicated accounts in the Pre2k format however adding the domain part specifies which domain the account is located.

More info on UPN
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243629

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. ryanthelion84

Sparky,

That seems logical to me!
    Thanks!