WeightLoss and Exercise Regime help

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by drum_dude, Aug 7, 2010.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi All,

Any tips on losing the flab? I'm hovering around 15 stone 10 pounds at the moment and am 6 foot tall...so am overweight! But I could really do with getting back to my pre 2004 weight which is about 13 stone-ish. i have LOADS of great clothes that have been doing nothing since my thin days pre-2004. Jan 2004 I quit the fags you see and rocketed to about 18 stone within a year (replaced fags with beer) and then through jogging in my lunch break at the council managed to get down to 14 stone...but that was not enough to get back into the clothes! Unfortunately, I started smoking again in 2007 and then got a new job and started to eat fatty foods i.e. subways etc, on my lunch breaks. Plus I spent a lot of time in the car too!

I now have a new job that is 5 mins away from my house and in the middle of the sticks on a old WW2 RAF Maintanence Unit (it's a logistics company). So I now have a lot of time on my hands as my journey to work is basically a 10 minute round trip :p (a far cry from the 2 hour 30 mins round trip of the previous job)

At the moment I've clamped the boozing to just Saturdays and have quit the ciggerettes too (2 weeks now). I now run about 3 - 4 miles on an evening Mon to Fri and during the afternoon (lunch break) of those days I do a brisk walk (enough to make me sweat and slightly out of breath) of 4 laps around the site where I work which adds up to approx 2.2 miles. I have now added swimming to the fold and intend to do half an hour of breast stroke when the pool opens from 6:30am till 7am.

I have to admit that the new regime has left me feeling more energetic than I have been since I stopped the jogging back in mid 2007. I also seem to be getting a great night's sleep too! However, I'm determined to get back into those size 32 jeans and those lovely tapered shirts that I still have!

A couple of things come to mind and that is:

* Stop the crisps, twix bar and fizzy pop at work
    * Stop the big dinner in the evening and move to smaller more frequent meals during the day
    * Eat more fruit in the morning

I went up to the shop earlier to get my Saturday night Magners and Mrs Singh mentioned that drinking green tea was also a good way to lose the weight! She basically said that it makes you go to the toilet more often...I think you catch my meaning :oops:

Any advice would be greatfully received!

Cheers!

P.S. I do think I should be able to spoil myself with some Magners on a Saturday :twisted: LOL
    P.P.S. Sparky will love this one but I'm thinking of buying a drum kit again and booking in a few 2 hour practise sessions as that instrument does make one sweat!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Two ways to lose weight. Combining them works best.

1 - Eat less.
    2 - Exercise more.

You're welcome.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. drum_dude

Cheers mate, and so true too! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  4. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Don't eat you evening meal too late as well. I was similar to you and I have lost 2 stone. I walk rather than run most nights before my evening meal. Usually 2-3 miles as fast as I can manage. it's less stress on my poor joints that way :D

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  5. drum_dude

Cheers Chris...yes I'm looking to knock the evening meal on the head in favour of something a bit more smaller. I'd look to make up the loss via smaller meals during the day. Well done for dropping 2 stone!

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm in th same boat. Trouble is, food is so nice ! :p

Tonight I had a Tesco finest spag bol with a bottle of chianti and followed it with a raspberry panna cotta.

Think I'll def need to walk tomorrow !

(It was nice tho' :biggrin )

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

You are doing the right thing. The biggest mistake a lot of people make is skipping breakfast and not getting their metabolism going. Smaller meals more often will keep your metabolism fired up all day just make sure they are small :biggrin

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  8. drum_dude

Good point Chris! I had some fat boy at work lecture me on Friday on the subject of just how he keeps his weight down (guy is a size 42 waist but about 5 foot 5 inches tall??) and his advice to me? "Skip breakfast"...I was like "err no mate!". I need to pig out more at breakie and then gradually bring it down over the day.

But you're right, metabolism is the key in all this!

9. drum_dude

and beer...cider...wine...LOL! i think booze is more the culprit for me!!! LOL...

:twisted:

10. drum_dude

Tell you what Chris, I did approx 5 mile jog yesterday evening and by the end of it I felt totally bollox'd. However, after 10 mins in the pool today doing a few laps I felt as if I'd done double what i jogged yesterday! Swimming is a proper ball breaker...I have to admit!

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I should get fit really, for some reason my matabolism seems to have slowed down.

or is it when a friday comes its curry time and when saturday comes its stella time?

Me not know, all me know is stella + curry = smelly bottom and bad head:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like a plan mate! :biggrin

On a separate note I`m going to sell my kit next month, might send you a PM later on for some selling advice if that’s ok.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

3 months ago i was 17.5st, and loved eating the free kitkats at work and eating a pastry and sandwich from Gregs (the baker) for lunch! Now I am under 15st, through changing my diet with the following changes:

-I didn't eat breakfast before - Now I eat 2 Wheat-a-bix with milk
    -Throughout the morning i eat an apple and a banana
    -I replaced sandwiches at lunch with a subway salad (usually go sub of the day salad because it only costs £2.50)
    -Eating no carbs for dinner, large piece of meat and lots of veg
    -If i'm hungry at any point i drink a glass of water and a glass of semi skimmed milk

Going on the theory that fat cannot turn into fat (therefore no point going for low fat options despite what media and packaging says)
    And body fat is excess energy that is stored which we get from carbs, therefore lowing carbs apart from ones first thing in the morn (which we will use throughout the day).

It hasn't been particularly hard as I still feast at BBQ's just eating lots of meat and salad, and I still drink between 2-4 cans of larger every eve (which i havent cut out because things are still going in the right direction). I have also been doing some pushups and ab exercises and prob put some muscle size on which i have not taken into account.
    I do still miss sugar in my coffee and also pizza

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're doing the right thing mate. Best way to lose weight is to eat sensibly and to do some exercise.

You can go on crash diets, but I'm not sure they're good for you compared to the above.
    My missus went on one and lost about 5Kg in a couple of weeks, which is great except for the fact that she passes out when she tries to stand up.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. drum_dude

Yes mate...deffo looking to get a new kit and store it at work as it's quite a secure site! My boss even stores his caravan there too LOL!

On selling your kit, all I'd say is to ebay it on an auction starting at 100 quid...you'd be surprised at just what you might get for it! Started my Tama at £300 and was stunned to get nearly a grand for it!

But yeah, the last time I went on a weightloss plan I put in 2 hours of drumming twice a week plus the odd gig on a weekend...it appeared to help quite a bit!

16. drum_dude

@Asterix, that is a good result just based on a change of diet! Certainly got me thinking! Cheers for that!

@JMX, yeah, I have to watch the food thing because if I don't get enough I get the shakes etc LOL! Something tells me that's refined sugar for you!

17. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner Nibble Poster Premium Member

I did the rapid plan at www.allaboutw8.co.uk

It might not be everyone's cup of tea but it worked for me, lost 3 stone in 2 months and I've not put it back on since finishing.

SR

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That, or diabetes.

LOL

:unsure

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A low-carb diet and Taekwondo workouts twice a week has helped me shed 22 pounds in the last two months. I've hit a bit of a plateau recently... but I think I'm starting back downwards once again.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. drum_dude

Hope not!