Website Not Working

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by jackd, Jun 5, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Right, Ive got a website running on my home server its running on IIS 6. Its got a domain name supplied by no-ip. (Incase you dont know what no-ip is its a website/client software that changes your ip to a domain name.) Its running on port 81 because my routers config uses port 80. Ive set it up on my router to allow port 81. But it still seems not to work.

EDIT:the domain name is isoplanet.no-ip.org

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - do you have an 'index.html' or 'index.htm' file in that directory?

When I tried to connect I got 'directory listing denied' which implies that the usual index file is missing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. hbroomhall

Hm - it seems you do have an 'index.htm'. But this isn't being supplied by default.

I'd say that there is a setting wrong somewhere - but as I don't know IIS I can't say what.

Purely IMHO - these days frames are deprecated! :biggrin

Harry.

4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Yes i have a index.htm file, I dont even get anything when i try to acess the site. Try again because i think ive just fixed the index.

5. hbroomhall

It now works!

Harry.

6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

How come i cant view it by typing the url thought

7. hbroomhall

Are you trying to do this on the same connection? If so there will probably be a routing error. Try on a separate connection (like a dialup).

Harry.

8. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Ok yes im trying on the same connection, So to view i have to use another connection?

And whats this supposted to mean

9. hbroomhall

Or fix the routing problem.
    Just exactly what it says.

Here is one of many pages on the problems with frames.

Harry.

10. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Any ideas how i fix the routing prob :biggrin

11. hbroomhall

This will depend entirely on your current setup.

Harry.

12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

very interesting dns name you got there, jack. dare i ask what kind of content you will be hosting? because the name has warez all over it. if indeed you are going to host copyrighted materials, i'm sure you won't forget to remove the url from this post, and from your profile, right? no need to get cf in trouble.
    also, i noticed some freeware downloads on your site (some of which are linking to jakamoko's site). the fact that software is free, does not implicate that you are allowed to distribute it. you will need permission from the original author.

take it from an oldtimer. i have been very active in the warez scene in the late 90's, and believe me, when 'the man' finds out and comes after you, you'll wish you could just disappear (which of course you can't).

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hmm, glad I checked this thread now ... cheers d.

Jack, you heard the lady:

Do me a favour, Jack - the downloads I have on my site I clearly state that I use as tools, and take responsibilty for as and when anyone has a problem with this. They are freeware - I took the time to upload the files myself - please do the same yourself if that's what you want your site to be for. Don't use my bandwidth for your visitors, mate :)

Second - the routing issue. I have exactly the same issue here. When I played with IIS, I could host my own site but not view it from inside my network - fine externally tho. It was a known issue with the Netgear firmware. My mate bought the newer model, and it was fixed in that.

Third - use www.dyndns.org for your ip/domain setup - I have posted much about their services. Free, fast, first class. Can't fault that :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If anyone is wondering what d-Faktor is referring to when she says warez (pronounced wares) check this out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warez

I agree the chosen domain name looks very suss Jack :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Ahh No I wont be hosting any warez material or anything that im not allowed to host. Sorry Jak ive changed the links so there hosted on my own site.

EDIT:The name just came into my mind and i chose to stick with that.

16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i agre with Gav - dyndns has quite a few options for domnain names, my one is thecheekmaster.kicks-ass.net :biggrin

17. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I use dyndns and my Router happens to have a feature that lets me assign my username and password and automatic connects to dyndns and updates the IP.

Mine is starky.mine.nu but don't bother with own webserver as i have serveral domains/hostings to play about with. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  18. Mr.Cheeks

if you anyone decides to go with dyndns, if you have not got the nifty router that automatically update the ip address, then there is a third party util on the site which updates it for you...

19. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Does dydns support port redirect so when you type the url in it will redirect to my ipaddress:81.

Thanks Jack

20. Mr.Cheeks

i quite certain it does me thinks its the pay version, not for free version.