Web Unblocking

Discussion in 'Networks' started by westernkings, Oct 2, 2008.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys

I have a question about unblocking access to the web. The company is currently using something by message labs which redirects every computer on the domain through a proxy, through this software that then blocks everything and then out to only a select few sites.

Now, is there a way to get around this ? currently every single website is blocked apart from a select few, there is no search engines allowed.

is there a possible way around it at all ? I am doing this for my manager to test how good the software really is.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Lemme get this straight - you want us to tell you how to get round your proxies at work?

The answer to that would be 'no'. Your workplace has put proxies there for a reason - if you want to figure out how to find ways round them, then do your own research. If you're successful, then let us know how the job market is when you get your P45.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

What the zeb-man said. If you were meant to have additional access rights then there would be settings in place to facilitate this (an administrators group for instance).

From your original post it sounds like you're trying to 'work around' it for your own gain.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Don't ASSUME, I said my boss wants me to test it for a reason, because he is paying 6000 a quarter for it, turns out I already sorted it

the blocker only works when people are forced through a particular proxy, as group policy only forces proxies onto IE, just a case of sticking a usb pen in with mobile firefox on and the proxy didn't apply anymore, port 80 was open because it was a bit flakey being closed.

So you were in the wrong to fly off there, I am doing this for a reason, and thats beause ih ave been asked

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Easy WK. It's not that we don't believe that your manager has asked you to do this, he very may well have! It's the fact that you're asking something which other users would be able to exploit in order to bypass their proxies servers. Such activities can easily get you fired which is why we're both so reluctant to advise ways and means of doing it.

It should be down to your manager to research and purchase appropriate security measures - not to retrospectively doubt his choice and pass his concerns unto you.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

So basically, your proxies are useless?

Besides, your post looks exactly like every other post I've ever seen from people trying to get round content filtering at work/school/home - if you'd put a little bit more effort into convincing me that what you wanted to do was legitimate, I might not have been so dismissive.

Also, no offence intended here, but the 'workaround' you posted is probably the first thing anyone would try when they figured out they couldn't get round your GPO. It indicates that whoever was responsible for putting the 'solution' in place really should have done a bit more digging into when it was sold to them - there's no point putting content filtering in place if port 80 is open outbound to all your workstations. This would have taken about thirty seconds to implement properly, if your vendor could have been bothered.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If your boss wants you to test it for a reason, then you should be knowledgeable enough to know how to get around it, shouldn't you? If not... you have no business getting this information.

Before you start saying, "But I can't look up the information because of the Web blocker!"... if you TRULY needed this information, the manager would shut off the proxy for your account or would give you a backdoor to use while you look for the info you need. Said more simply: if you were authorized to have access to that info, you wouldn't currently be blocked.

Thus... most of us aren't buying your story, particularly those of us here who are (or have been) network admins. The proxys are there for a reason.

The others are right: if you're not being truthful with us regarding your motives behind finding this information out, do realize that bypassing a proxy server IS typically a "career-ending activity" by most employers.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yeah I'm sorry but this sounds a little suss to me. Your not trying to view something you shouldn't at work are you?

We have the same thing at my work, If you had the correct access which you don't then you could exploit it. There is a reason you dont have access so you can't do it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?