Web Typography

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by westernkings, Oct 11, 2008.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I stumbled across this website today, and too be honest, it is just amazing, and I mean amazing.

http://www.typechart.com/

Any Web Designer here knows that type is incredibly important for a design, well this website has a great range of styles for the big usage fonts, has 3 buttons to click, one to view what it looks like in Windows, another to see what a type will look like on a mac, and another that contains the CSS code that you can copy, directly.

Seriously, it is just a great site in general if you are into webdesign.

Hope it is of some use to people here.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. chetan.crasta

chetan.crasta Bit Poster

It may be a great web site... if it works. I browsed through most of the fonts on display and found that (according to the site) there is hardly any difference in the rendering between the PC and the Mac - even for those typefaces that were supposed to be available only on the Mac or only on the PC.
    For example, take 319LB. Lucida Grande on this page http://www.typechart.com/page/5/
    This is supposed to be a "Mac native font only", however the only difference that I can see between the rendering on the Mac and the PC is the font smoothing (anti-aliasing).
    It looks like something isn't working right.

WIP: CIW A+ N+
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

the difference in rendering, is strictly how it appears under Apples Anti Aliasing as opposed to regular browsers with clear type.

By Mac Native, it means that it comes with every mac.

Windows Native, means Macs wont have it by default,

Office means it comes with MS office 2007/08 so people without that installed wouldn't have the font.

it is just letting you know who would have it installed.

the Windows VS MAc is simply how the font renders in each browser

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3