Web Hosting Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by hkymre, Aug 28, 2005.

1. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

I'm currently with Pipex (Web Fusion) for the site I look after - www.nvfc.co.uk

The 12month contract is coming up & I'm looking around for other cheaper options.

Needs to be on Linux, with about 15-20g a month bandwith & a couple of MySQL databases. The mainsite is uses Mambo & one sql db and the fans forum (www.board.nvfc.co.uk) uses another.

Lunarpages who host this site seem pretty good.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Edge

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have a recommendation for you, but it's located in the US. They use Redhat for their servers and are a very reliable honest company to deal with. They are also pretty inexpensive too. My brother has used them to host a site and buys bandwidth from them for his startup wireless ISP. He says he's never had any kind of problem with them in the 3 years or so he's dealt with them.

http://www.simplywebhosting.com/

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

It's a web host I work for, hk. but obviously as I've read the Rules, etc, I can't advertise, or I'd get busted by, erm ...me. So I've sent you a PM.

Gold hosting starts around £20, for 500Meg, Linux, mysql etc, not as much bandwidth I don't think. Next up is Platinum (what I currently have) Linux or NT 1Gb space, etc, etc Cost quite a bit more to.

Let me know if you have any further questions.. Actually, I must look into the Rules to see if I can mention them - cos maybe some others here might find it useful, and I AM a customer, technically, so that means I can report on services I've used in the past .....:hhhmmm

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Go on Gav...I dare ya!! I won't say anything :tune

If not then please drop me a PM on the details please as i'm looking to starting my on Drum tuition/info site in the next 3 months...I'm always on the look out for decent providers as opposed to "here today gone tomorrow with my money" type hosting!!!

Cheers M8

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I used to go halfs on a donhost reseller account with a mate, unlimited domains, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited space, etc, 50 quid a month
    we have since moved to dedicatd hosting now so dont use that, we have a server in telehouse

check out donhost :)
    they do cheaper options for people only wanting one site :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. ffreeloader

Yeah. I want to see Gav break his own rules and then get on himself for breaking the rules.... :twisted:

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Freddy , you are just twisting that toooo many ways !!! :D

OK, the web host I work for is :

Admin Edit (J): Advertising your employer is strictly forbidden.

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Smooth Jak, real smooth. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. ffreeloader

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeah, but did you delete the post where you told yourself not to do that again? I missed that one. :twisted:

11. hkymre

hkymre Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies & the PM folks.

The company who has remained anon looks pretty good value for a UK host - £75 for the platinum package but Lunarpages in the states costs $110 for a similar package.

Never noticed any problems with this site so Lunarpages looks favourite at the moment.

Cheers

Edge

Certifications: ECDL, ITIL Green Badge
    WIP: A+, Advanced ECDL
  12. eyeball

eyeball Nibble Poster

unitedhosting.co.uk - very good, I use them for my webspace, give good control over your server, good package, apache, mysql, ensim control pannel.

from £5 /month,

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE+security
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

np's. Glad I was able to "not" help ! :biggrin