Web Hosting, help

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by LukeP, Jun 30, 2009.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

How is webhosting managed in small businesses? I am considering dedicated server as I just figured out that amount of things that we are invoiced for costs more then a dedicated server. Our current hosting provider, as I found out, just re-rents fasthosts dedicated server.

I am looking for reliable dedicated hosting solution preferably around South-West region, but any location will do. Any opinions on Fasthosts, C4L, SynergyWorks, WebFusion?

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What are your hosting needs mate? Do you have a website developed on a certian platform for example.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I need a LAMP stack platform to host 4 php/mysql web applications and 6 websites (6 different domains)? I'd like it to host email accounts for the company (30 employees) as well. At the moment that's what our needs are and with our current provider we pay around £1500 a year for hosting those sites. Server became unbelievably slow and most of PHP scripts written returned a timeout error. Yesterday I had to go through all applications and change timelimit for execution of php scripts (set_time_limit()) from 30 seconds to 120 seconds. While this works the delay time is not acceptable.

4. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I've commented on my hosts before - www.layershift.co.uk - they do not rent space from other hosts but run their own commercial operation out of Bluesquare.

Have a chat with them - Andrew Cranson is the MD or Damien is his right hand man. They know what they're talking about and I've been with them now for almost three trouble-free years.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Thanks. They seem to provide VPS service though and I'd rather have physical machine for myself.

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Ask them. I'm sure they have a dedi service

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Will give it a shot mate, thanks again.