Web Foundation for a slightly different reason

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by MooBadger, Jan 25, 2009.

1. MooBadger

MooBadger New Member

Hi guys - 1st post. My name is Gary and I'm about to do the CIW Web Foundation course from the start of February. I work for a web design and seo company as a Business Development Manager. I am taking this exam simply to get my overall knowledge up. For someone with no previous technical knowledge do you reckon I will find it tricky? I am 28, and have worked for 2 web companies over the last 9 months. Prior to that I was a mortgage adviser and passed those exams 1st time.

Some questions;

How long does it take?
    Generally how many hours should I put in?
    Any other tips?

Cheers guys

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

You may want to check out 3Schools tutorial program since you don't have much/any experience in web development to get the basics first and you can even do an online test and get a cert out of it. Then carry onto the CIW if you want :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

Hi MooBadger
    I am just about to complete the CIW foundations and take the exam as part of the CIW Web Managers Course. I will say I found it harder than I expected at points but massivley helpful at other points. Good for clarification of things I already thought I knew and picking up stuff I'd never even heard of.
    The best advice I think is to supliment anything you find hard or cant quite get your head round in the course book with resources on the web w3schools is a great one as suggested bu Wagnerk but if they dont have the info your after then there is always google and you should find everything and more.
    The other thing I have done which you might want to think about is to work your way through the books slowly then go back and skim through it all again seeing what has sunk in and what has been forgotten. Then go back a review the dodgy bits again or research it on the web till it sinks in.
    Its taken me about three months to get through the foundations section and I have been doing atleast 2/3 hours a week, where possible I have done more but I think that is a good goal per week.

Hope this helps.:biggrin

4. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

It took me about three months of studying with 10 - 30 hours a week. It is probably the hardest exam to study for as it is a lot about everything....Networking, web design, e-commerce ect ect.
    My tip would be to buy a couple of web design books from Amazon, like....."bullet proof web design" or "CSS The missing manual"

Also sign up to www.lynda.com

Hope this helped

-neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

For someone who just wants to brush up on some general knowledge related to webby stuff, it's pretty good. At least you'll be able to hold your own in a conversation.

1-3 months, depending on the hours you put in.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. MooBadger

MooBadger New Member

Thanks for the response. Is this the main forum people use or are there others? Also - I would probably take your tips Tobo to read through first then skim again. Did you do my written work to let it sink on or alternatively did you type things up on your laptop/pc?