Web Build for beginners

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by camadi46, Apr 1, 2011.

1. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

I am trying to build a website, I have no knowledge of programming or scripting. I am looking for a easy-to-use web builder, if there is such a thing. I only need a few pages, as I want to start small with clothing sales and if it picks up, take on something professional. Any advice much appreciated.
    Thanks a lot.

Certifications: A+, MCP
    WIP: 70-680
  2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

search google for basic html you will pick it up in no time. some free hosts offer a web builder for free.
    or use ebay :)

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

Thanks Alexdc12, I shall try that. I had no idea there are free web hosts offering that.

4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

many do but they are not much kop i personally dont think. you can use microsoft frontpage if u have it. or publisher

5. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

for my website i used something called wordpress, took a bit og getting used to at first buts its a clean look
    google wordpress

my site is ac-itsupport.co.uk

you will however need a host that supports the installation of wordpress

6. rhyscooper

rhyscooper New Member

It sounds like you need a Content Management System (CMS). There are many available online, Drupal and DotNetNuke spring to mind. As with the others you will need to get a hosting provider that supports your chosen CMS.

A CMS will allow you to update content using a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) interface which is ideal if you don't know any html / coding etc. I've not used DotNetNuke, but Drupal allows you to choose modules (created by other users) to do certain things e.g. event calendar, user registration, maybe even a shopping cart, which you can place on your pages.

http://drupal.org/

Hope this helps.

7. quuuaid

quuuaid Nibble Poster

If you want to sell but also keep things really simple to start with, I'd recommend an e-bay or amazon store.

However, if you're definitely up for creating your own site, check out uk.layershift.com as a hosting solution. I use their Linux-based shared hosting service myself (after reading the opinions of people in this forum) and they do offer an excellent service. Hosters use a version of the Parallels Plesk Panel to manage their websites, which is user-friendly and includes a built-in WYSIWYG website editor. You're also at liberty to install other applications, such as Drupal and online store apps, as you like. Bear in mind though that you'll probably want to invest in a SSL certificate if you're going to have people handing over their card details on your site (which can also be done through the Plesk Panel I believe). If you do decide to look at Layershift, they also have an online team that can answer most your questions before you make any decisions...:biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: Drupal, PHP
  8. camadi46

camadi46 Bit Poster

Thanks for the input guys, I shall start looking into it based on your info.
    Cheers!