...web based notice board i need to publish....

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by cobirad, Jun 2, 2010.

1. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

hello guys,
    I have a little problem and i need your help. i have a web based notice board i need to publish within my school environment. i know i have to broadcast it wirelessly so that everyone both students and staff will view it on their web browser ,i hope to achieve this with a linksys router to enable access to my pc which will act as the server . Now the problem is that i don't know if am supposed to use a DNS server so that the domain name can be used instead of the pages ipaddress . i need a step by step guide on this project i want to achieve success in this so i can gain the respect of my mates and have a good Grade Point as well.

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First, you don't need to post the same post in multiple subforums. Please post just once.

Second, unless the app requires one or the other, it doesn't matter whether you use DNS for name resolution or use an IP address to connect. Use whatever you want to use.

Third, it doesn't matter what connectivity method you use... networking is networking is networking.

There is no "step-by-step" guide for this... everyone's network is different. Just create your Web server, connect it to the network by whatever method you wish, and direct people to it by whatever method you choose.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

Noted, i wont happen again.
    but micheal, will i need to connect two Pcs one acting as the server and the other as my DNS to that network. or do i need just one Pc to do the job ?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nobody will use your DNS server for name resolution unless their computers are configured to do so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

If you want the 'respect', work it out for yourself:dry

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Cobirad - you are trying to run before you can walk. You need to understand basic networking before you think about bringing up a bulletin-board. if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

Guys,
    Maybe i did not use the right word for it. actually i was given a project by my department to setup an INTRANET. thats what i ment to say, i guess i got confused.. anyway am really sorry to have caused any confusion, am just a student who is willing to learn from what ever source. but i seriously need help on setting up an intranet for my Department. already the webpage to be displayed on the intranet has been developed by some other student, i just have the the responsibility to make the page visible to everybody within the department, but am confused on how to start

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think you think (sic) its more complicated than it actually is, as BM has said if you have the webpage already built for you then its just a case of using a server as a web server (be it windows, linux or whatever) and plonking the page into the wwwroot folder of your chosen server (docs are readily available all over the place for configuring web servers).

If a college network is involved I assume that there will be some kind of local name resolution involved when students connect their pc's wirelessly or to a network port in the wall. You really need to know or find someone who knows a bit more about the network backbone at the college.

But there really isnt that much to it. What Server OS have they said you will be putting the site onto, is it already installed or do you have to do this yourself?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think you think (sic) its more complicated than it actually is, as BM has said if you have the webpage already built for you then its just a case of using a server as a web server (be it windows, linux or whatever) and plonking the page into the wwwroot folder of your chosen server (docs are readily available all over the place for configuring web servers).

If a college network is involved I assume that there will be some kind of local name resolution involved when students connect their pc's wirelessly or to a network port in the wall. You really need to know or find someone who knows a bit more about the network backbone at the college.

But there really isnt that much to it. What Server OS have they said you will be putting the site onto, is it already installed or do you have to do this yourself?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  10. cobirad

cobirad Bit Poster

I wasn't told of the server to use, my Job is to do everything form scratch, am confused cos i don't know which web server to use at all. someone told me of APACHE and i have been trying to download it but am having difficulties although am still trying.

so after i do this ,do just need to copy the webpage location into the wwwroot and it just display on the network, allowing other to connect through a wireless router (am using Linksys).

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its near impossible to give accurate advice, since none of us know the precise details of the network setup.

However, assuming that the network has some sort of DNS server already in place where you are having the machines assigned IP's from...

On my machine, I have IIS installed. I received an IP from the network DNS server every morning. If I were to put a webapp onto the wwwroot on my local machine, anyone wishing to access it would navigate to http://<machinename>/<appname> - thats it, the sum total of anything I need to do to make it run on the network.

I already have a network connection, so I dont need any routers, etc in place. Anyone on our network will already be able to access the webserver on this machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I guess the first couple of question would be do you actually have a physical server/computer you can use, and have they said you can spend money on an OS and licences for the web server if not then you'll need to go down the apache & linux root.

Yes that about boils down to it (but then again it may be more complicated than that) you will need to have a chat with your IT admin for the college to find out how to do the networky bits.

13. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Your two main options for the intranet site are apache and IIS

Apache can install on Windows based systems, and Linux (and others)
    IIS is Windows only

I personally however would opt for sharepoint, which you install on top of IIS, for this you will need ASP, IIS, and a few other patches. If you are a large organisation with lots of users connecting then you could should connect it to a full blown SQL server, if not then it comes with a embedded sql server, which needs more maintenance but is free.

The security side of things, id imagine that you have security groups for students and staff, just disallow anonymous access and all only the relevant staff users or groups access.

Sharepoint does notice boards, and much more, it is free and easy to set up, and lots of colleges and schools seem to be using it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b5-48fc-4ca2-b454-8dc2caf93951&displaylang=en 32 bit installer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0f-7c94-4814-bbfe-2b66fe4a9087&displaylang=en 64 bit installer

A books on sharepoint is "Mastering Sharepoint Services 3.0" (by Sybex)
    Also there is tonnes of stuff on the web to read

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  14. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Your two main options for the intranet site are apache and IIS

Apache can install on Windows based systems, and Linux (and others)
    IIS is Windows only

I personally however would opt for sharepoint, which you can install on top of IIS, for this you will need ASP, IIS, and a few other patches (workflow something or other). If you are a large organisation with lots of users connecting then you could should connect it to a full blown SQL server, if not then it comes with a embedded sql server, which needs more maintenance but is free.

The security side of things, id imagine that you have security groups for students and staff, just disallow anonymous access and all only the relevant staff users or groups access.

Sharepoint does notice boards, and much more, it is free and easy to set up, and lots of colleges and schools seem to be using it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b5-48fc-4ca2-b454-8dc2caf93951&displaylang=en 32 bit installer
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...0f-7c94-4814-bbfe-2b66fe4a9087&displaylang=en 64 bit installer

A books on sharepoint is "Mastering Sharepoint Services 3.0" (by Sybex)
    Also there is tonnes of stuff on the web to read

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal