water cooling question

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, May 3, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

How does water cooling work?

Is like the coolent on a car where the water recerculates or do you top it up or something?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

the basic water cooling technique involves pumping water around a system and then letting the heat disipatate from the water out through a radiator just like a car.

Most Pc water cooling use a special cooling liquid that conducts heat better than water and is slightly less electriacl conductive.
    A small pump is fitted in the case along witha resiviour of liquid and the rad mounted close to the outside with maybe a fan creating air flow over the rad. Copper blocks (heatsink) ar fitted over the CPU, CPU and even memory, that have pipes running through them for the liquid to flow through.

If a coloured liquid is used and you have a window in your case a liquid cooled system can look real nice.

If i'm allowed i can posta link to a PC case modders site i use that has good info on watercooling. (mods can ya let me know if i can do this? dont wanna link to someone elses forum with out ya say so). (my case is on the forum there but is fan cooled not liquid)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. greenbrucelee

Thanks twizzle hopefully they'll let you.

I am not planning to do anything like having a cooling system yet but when I build my super comp I will really need a good cooling system aswell as several fans I think

Steve

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

You can have good cooling using just fans, and if ya get the right ones along with a decent case theres alomost no noise. Water cooling tends to get more expensive, can be messier (if ya get it wrong and it leaks!) and can be real fiddly to get working right plus ya still need a fan or 2 ot create the flow over the rads.

In one of my cases i have 2 120mm fans in the case, a CPu fan, north bridge fan and the graphics card is passivley cooled by a large heatsink no fan. In another case i have 2 120mm fans in the front, 1 80mm fan in the back, the psu has 1 120mm and 1 80mm fan in it, the graphics card has 1 fan, the CPU is a large 120mm Zalman fan cooler and the northbridge has a fan on it for a total of 8 fans in the case and its not that loud ( only hear it when the g/fs pc is off as she has a very noisy PSU at the moment and a loose case fan in her system).

I plan to do a water cooled system in the near future, probably using a Zalman system but thats cost around £160 to start with for basic CPU cooling no GPU cooling!

as for teh site its http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/index.php (mods can remove it later if not allowed to post) Look for my modded case under CHOP SHOP section, its called AND THEY SHALL KNOW NO FEAR!:biggrin

5. greenbrucelee

Impressive!

I wish I had your skills, I am relativley a noob I havent had a comp for 10 years but have been involved with them all that time getting a pc next week:)

But in the future I want to build my own super comp

But I need to get info on cases that'll hold lots of fans, and the best types of fans to get that sort of thing

6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the compliment, thats my first case MOD. Took me months to do and i'm still doing the finising touches to it. It was fun but costly. I must have spent close to £100 on the spray paints alone! Plus i went out and bought a dremel just to do all the cutting and etching (fortunatley got one from pbay real cheap thats good!)

www.quietpc.co.uk is good for fans and cooling. It lists fans by size and has a table detailing each fan with stats such as size, weight airflow noise etc.

As for cases, a freind of mine has an Antec P180, its large but very quiet with 4 120mm fans fitted (i think). Also look at Li Lan cases as thier favourites among modders.

7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

While we're on the subject, what's the deal with liquid nitrogen cooling ? How does that work ?

I'm sure I read about it somewhere, but I can't remember the details.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'd suggest its mich the same as water cooling only more expensive, slighly different setup and equipent and a lot lot colder!!!!

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would highly recommend the P180. I've got a P180B (the black version of the P180) and love it. It's got a separately cooled compartment for the hard drives and PSU.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!