Wassup Ya'll

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Hooded_Villian, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Hooded_Villian

Hooded_Villian New Member

My names Lex. Im 28 and currently live in London.

I have worked in the commercial refrigeration manufacturing industry, for bout 7 years. Never getting qualified. I came to London and scored a job doing Refrigeration and Air Con Services. Im in charge of some shops in the South East London area, who contract to the company I work for.

Long story short... I always been a keen amateur webdesigner. I know my html pretty well, photoshop/imageready, Dreamweaver and also a little flash. Currentyl studyin PHP, all this as a hobby.

I have recently found a place that offers a CIW qualification as a Wedsite Design Manager. They say they monitor my progress and then filter me into the industry by finding me a job. Obviously, if my marks and assignmets are up to scratch.

Now my finace and I plan on immigrating to Oz in about 5 years.

Is a CIW qualification recognised at all? I want a serious career change and webdesign is challenging and more my passion, than my current career.

Any advice?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

There are some members here who live in Oz who would be better placed to answer questions from that perspective.

However - because web design is a very crowded industry the best way to get work is to have a top-notch portfolio. CIW obviously helps, as it shows you have covered the ground.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

wassup!

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

In answer to your question, is the CIW recognised in Australia?

Well a quick google using google.com.au, tells me that it is taught in a few places, though much like in the UK, there doesnt seem to be a demand for it from employers.

The whirlpool forum, is probably one of the most active forums in the world. they discuss all things Internet related and have some very clued up people posting there. The forum has 220,000 members and 853,000 threads and the CIW has been mentioned in one thread only and that was in 2005. Here it is..

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=334865

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

9. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Web design, like photography, is one of those areas where college degrees and certifications are entirely useless. It all comes down to the portfolio of work you can show a client/employer. A good portfolio gets your foot in the door whereas no portfolio doesn't.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  10. Hooded_Villian

Hooded_Villian New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and the input.

To be 100% completely honest, the main reason for studying the webdesign (besides the fact that I enjoy it) and trying to get into that field, is because I would like to be self employed some day. Working from home, have a variety of sites of my own that generate some sort of livable income.

I believe that alot of business's are going to be utilising eCommerce in the future, so there will be a need for web designers. And the people I am studying through, provided your marks are up to scratch, have a relationship with a few companys aswell as recruitment agencies, so they "apparently" help you look for work in the field.

I have a friend who isn't the brightest spark around, in fact it, it took him two extra years to pass his course in asp.net, or something... And he has a Pukka job here in London.

I have always got my refrigeration and air con skills to fall back upon. I'm good with my hands, so hands on, trade jobs are never out of my reach. It's just not what I see myself doing for the next 10years or more...

11. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

Welcome

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) and yep! go with what you're interested in and keep updating your skills set in the web design arena.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell