Warhammer 40K: Space Marine - XBox 360

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by GiddyG, Sep 14, 2011.

1. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I've played the demo of this game, and decided to buy it for my youngest son for his next birthday.

The demo plays well, although/and (delete as appropriate) there's a lot of 'blood and gore' as you'd expect. :knife

Has anyone played the full game, including the PvP element, and what do you think?

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've been playing the demo on the PS3 and it's pretty good.
    Seems a tad limited though in terms of depth - just a bit of shooting and stabbing.
    Hope they put a bit more varied gameplay in there and give us a decent storyline.
    I do like all that space marine stuff, although I draw the line at painting little tin men. :dry

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. GiddyG

Yes, that was my worry... that it would be just the gratuitous violence and no story; however, there is a walkthrough guide so I am hoping there is more to it.

I think, in the PvP, you can fight as Chaos. If so, that would be pretty cool.

I have spent many an evening hunched over a magnifying glass pinning, glueing and painting. I'm hoping the game means that I don;t have to do that as often in the future. ;-)

4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I played teh demo on PC and its what i'd expect from a game based on 40K, simple. While the lore has a lot of depth the games been kept simple as possible i feel. But it still has teh Wh40K feel. And now i've finally had delivery of my collectors edition i can actually play teh complete game.

(and yes i'm a fan of WH40K, and yes i do paintteh little tin / plastic men!)

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. GiddyG

I see that the Elite Armour doesn't come with the Collector's Edition, so I ended up buying my son the Elite Armour Edition. They really missed a trick there, unless they expected people to get the CE for £80 and then stump up another £40 for Elite Armour.

Anyway, hope it's good!

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'd be happy if the horus herresey series came out on frackin kindle lol
    not played it yet but my buddy is nagging me! it looks sweet, although im more of an RTS hardcore guy, played DoW for YEARS

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah i didnt get any in game prize for pre ordering teh CE version. But i wouldnt stump up extra just for an in game item anyway. I just wanted teh art book as it looks cool. Teh purity seal is just a bit of fun tat and teh cards don mean anything either.

The game is very linear, no chance to roam the environs, and so far game plays been pretty standard, shoot, charge, close combat, rinse and repeat. Its not taxing at all. Some of teh combos and teh fact you need to stun and enmey then kill them to get health is a good idea, but falls flat when in a mob as your killing one to get health while being shot at, hit by, others at teh same time reducing your health.

However it does have that WH40K feel. The guns have a nice heavy thump, the orks are load and green, and teh bomb squig bounce along nicely. And thats what will make this game, the 40K atmosphere!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. GiddyG

You can suggest to Amazon that the books come out on Kindle, in the UK anyway. Not sure whether it does anything but it might be worth a shot?

Talking of RTS, I have just pre-ordered this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...p=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005KQ4EVU

Not sure if it'll be any good, but it's only a tenner.

9. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Blimey hello stranger! @giddyG

Looking forward to SM coming down in price (never buy games at release price). It looks like a jolly fun romp to me!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  10. GiddyG

Sounds my kind of game actually. Sometimes it's good just to get in there and do some butt-kicking. Pity you can't roam though.

I saw that happen with the demo... you'd get charged by scores of orks of various types, and you'd be slashing, stomping and whatever, seeing the B flash up to allow you to boost health. That's on the XBox anyway. I'll need to check to see if you can do Co-Op campaign. If you can it'd be wicked; however, a lot of these games don't allow split-screen which is a right royal PITA.

Nice! Can't wait now... roll on my lad's birthday. :)

11. GiddyG

Hello mate! Hope you're keeping well.

SM? What's that then... risks ridicule from all and sundry... 8)

12. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

ummm Space Marine :biggrin

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  13. GiddyG

LMAO! Sorry mate... I wasn't thinking.

14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

s'OK, NP!

15. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You can get them Phoenix. Go here :- The Black Library - eBooks

I managed to get Prospero Burns a few days before it was available in normal book form. You do need to use something to convert ans transfer the book as I think they do them in epub and mobi. But Calibre will do that for you no probs and it's free.

Incedently, my Kindle is signed by Dan Abnett. :) Met him at a convention earlier this year and he's a great guy. Actualy bumped into him when he arrived, so I offered to by him a cuppa and he signed all of my friend and I's gear. He sat with us for quite a while, it was great!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ooo nice find Modey
    I can just email an epub to @free.kindle.com to have it converted for me for free i think ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Even so mate, Calibe is excellent and also free!

calibre - E-book management

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada