Want advise from people work for IT outsourcing companies

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by michael78, Jul 31, 2007.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Right here is my problem I got an email out the blue from an agency that I used to deal with stating that an IT outsourcing company want to interview me for a helpdesk position which is mainly sitting on my arse answering phone calls and using remote control software to help them. The company is pretty big and I've been told there is a lot of expansion and opportunities in the company.

Now I'm currently working as a contractor in a 1st/2nd line support on about 5k more than these are offering but at present the opportunity to progress in an IT company into more Networking or project mangement is appealing to me.

Does anyone else work for an IT company and are they good at progressing their staff and what are the opportunities like with the company to progress onto other things. Personally I can stomach working on phones if other avenues open to me and I want to get away from helpdesk as I've been doing it for 4 years.

Cheers in advance

Michael

Doh just noticed I've spelt advice wrong in the title can someone change this please ;)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have to be honest
    in my experiance
    not really

Outsourcing companies that I have come across are often very reactive, and bottom line concious,
    if they need someone more senior for something its usually because they didn't realise they would and rush out and get one at a premium rate for a few months

from a consultancy perspective, I have worked with some of these 'out sourcers' who actually recommend poorer solutions that are less aligned to the ongoing business goals just to make a few more points of margin

now I've only had dealings with a handful of the big outsourcing vendors but for the most part there first tier are really really low end, the smaller outfits tend to better, but not by much

I suppose it depends on the rep that this specific company has, I'm sure you can find out with a few google searches, and is the 5k a risk to you? what if it takes a year or more to move around, can you afford to take a 5k cut on the off chance? will you have enough experience in 6 months to find something better anyway? etc etc

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yeah that's what ALL agencies say about 1st line stuff! They have to sell it to you! 5k drop? Walk away m8 and look for something better - a person with your certs and skills will not suit this position...it'll drive you nuts!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Cheers guys I was thinking along the lines of that. I suppose the agency saying that there is scope to move into other areas is really a selling point. I think I'll stick to contracting and that way I'll be able to take a couple of months off over crimbo to do a course and finish off my MCSA. I just also think it might be hard for me to break into networking or project mangement with what I'm doing at present but I suppose I'll just have to keep studying and progressing and hope that more doors open in other areas.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011