WAN port not working

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Newbie19, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Newbie19

Newbie19 Bit Poster

I have had 3 different routers now, 3 different brands, at 3 different locations that would not work by plugging the dsl cable from the modem into the wan port, but if you plugged it into the #1 port & then plugged the computers into the remaining ports the router worked fine . Anyone know why?

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

Are you using an ADSL *modem* with an ethernet hub/switch, or two of the same devices together?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Newbie19

Newbie19 Bit Poster

Its a westell modem from bellsouth, its DSL. no hub or switch, not sure what adsl is.

4. Newbie19

Newbie19 Bit Poster

Also a different router at 1 of the locations worked properly with the wan port

5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Newbie19,

Questions:
    1. What are the make and models of the routers?
    2. Which internet service provider (ISP) are being used at the 3 different locations?
    3. What are the make and models of the DSL modems?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - are you in the USA? Because if so many people here are in the UK and there is considerable difference in practice in how these things are hooked up.

Note that for most routers using the ports as you describe is merely using it as a switch, not a router. It sounds as if your modem has the required NAT etc built in.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You need to connect the WAN port on the router to the WAN port on the modem. If the modem doesn't have a WAN port you might get away with it by using a crossover cable.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Newbie19

Newbie19 Bit Poster

Yes, sorry forgot about the UK, I am in the US. 2 netgear, routers & 1 belkin, dont remember the models, all 3 modems are westell A90. Another puzzling point is that the belkin was mine, I now have a dlink & it works with the wan port. But the netgear will not.