Vsphere Evaluation

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by JohnBradbury, Jul 10, 2009.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Guys,
    have any of you used the VSphere evaluation?

Just wondering what the deal is with regards to re-installing it, do I have to request a new serial or can I re-install it with the original one?

If it’s the first option has anyone had any difficulties getting new serial every 60 days?

2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

you know they don't have the crazy licensing model they used to have, not sure why you couldnt just re install and use the same code
    although the code could be mathematically formulated with an expiration date in it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. JohnBradbury

Thanks Ryan.

I've been looking at some of the information on vmware.com to compare ESXi with ESX 4.0 and from what I've seen I can do everything I need with ESXi (vmotion, HA, DPM) as long as I have VI Enterprise.

I'm a bit confused at the moment :blink

4. JohnBradbury

Okay, a little bit of reading and I believe I can use ESXi in conjunction with VCenter Server 4 to provide the more advanced features such as Vmotion, DPM, HA. So in theory I would just have to reinstall Vcenter every 60 days.

Just check the site and it's saying I don't have access to the Vcenter evaluation :twisted:

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Ok heres the breakdown

ESXi is basically the 'thin' hypervisor, well actually I believe the hypervisor is identical, the console system is totally different though

that said, vSphere makes the console a VM now, so you can see where this is headed right?

the licenses unlock the features
    the licenses for the cool stuff generally require vCenter anyway because vCenter handles a lot of the cool features

so yes you can use the license for Enterprise with ESX 4 or ESXi 4

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0