vsphere 5 vRam licencing c&*k up

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by dales, Jul 13, 2011.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Oh dear, what do you guys think of the vSphere 5 announcement and vRam entitlement, Its still a little early for me to get a totally informed opinion on it but by what I've read so far they are doing quite a good job of possibly pricing themselves a little out of the market they announced they want to own (effectively they have asperations of being the cloud infrastrucutre product of choice). Those cloud machines run some beefy hardware requirements and from what I've read so far just by switching to v4 to v5 the licencing cost can jump by 50%.

Whereever I've seen vsphere installed the cpu has never been the bottleneck (mostly used) but the Ram is, so by relaxing the per processor licencing and tightening the ram licencing you've just increased the costs of running the rocking the same hardware.

Sorry vmware I love your products but from what I can gather so far this could be the faux par citrix and MS need to creep in a little further on the market.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I can understand why people are getting upset by it, seems like the hike from hell but since I'm Essentials Plus lics it doesn't really affect my little environment too much

6CPU*24GB vRAM = 144GB of pooled vRAM over 3 Hosts(cost $4,495)

which is more than enough for me but I'd imagine the big players will be paying through the nose with the new model

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Slippery slope.

EMC are trying to monetise the product any way they can, since they know that most shops that are going to run enterprise-level VMWare have already gone down that route and are locked in, there's little opportunity for 'new' vsphere deployments at the massive end of the scale, but plenty of opportunity to exploit enterprises that are already locked into it. Most places I know run ESX/vSphere the same as us - hosts at about 15-20% CPU capacity and 55-60% RAM.

Typical 'big player purchases excellent product and annihilates it by buggering existing users' story

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em