VPNs

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Feb 27, 2018.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

What is everybody using these days? My subscription is about to run out and I am wondering if its worth renewing or seeing what options there are. I am with purevpn at the mo, I have been looking at a service called Nordvpn.

Does anyone have a preference? Also if someone uses a free one, how good is it?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hey buddy, I use NordVPN too. It's got a really nice interface and makes it easy to connect to various servers around the world. I mostly use it to access my NAS when I'm on holiday, upload my photos that sort of thing. It seems fast enough to me but I bought it as it was on offer, £60 for 2 years or something like that so I figured I'd try it out

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have a lifetime subscription to purevpn and love it, I love the fact that it can either be client or plugin based (I had the plugin on Chrome).

I have no plans to move from PureVPN at this time.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah no I didn't know you could get lifetime memberships! Thats much better, I'll look into that when this NordVPN 2 year is up

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Looking at using a VPN but getting a bit confused. With Virgin Media and whilst trialing Cyberhost I had a massive drop in download speed, but I'm guessing this is due to this being the free version. I've just bought myself a new router coz the superhub 3 is quite frankly pants.

So, do I add the VPN to the router and protect all devices behind the router? By doing this, will I be able to benifit from moving my IP around. Torrenting, Newsgroups, protecting myself. What about mobile devices outside of the home. I also want to be able use steam and BBC/iPlayer without it saying I'm not in the UK.

Any advice for a complete noob with this stuff?
    Thanks

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. zxspectrum

Well basically when I want to go anonymous, ill just click the program and it then covers me etc. The way I test that its working is to go to WhatismyIPaddress.com and see if where its says it has put me is true. I have heard of things like IP address leak whee a program runs but its not properly covering your tracks etc.

I am halfway through an audible book called Tor and the dark net, the author explains about vpns, he advises to use a different browser like Tor and if you want to be fully anonymous, you are meant to use the Tails OS and you are not meant to go to your usual sites, facebook and the like etc, as by doing this people can track you through exit nodes that you (the user) creates when going from your anonymous connection to your usual haunts, the VPN is tagged to you.

That book, Tor and the dark net is worth a read/listen. You can get a 90 day trial of audible if , like me, you are too lazy to read sometimes

7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im not too familiar with the uses of VPNs, but why do you guys use them? only time I used them was to download torrents back in the day

8. zxspectrum

Well its not all for dodgy purposes, maybe I want to browse the net without being spied on