VPC 07, do you need to fresh install a OS each time

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by rockstar6181, Jan 25, 2009.

1. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I am setting up a virtual lab and currently have a couple of servers ready, 2 clients, what i would like to know is if i want another client which is the same os as the ones i already have can i somehow just copy it rarther than have to install it from scratch?

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, just copy the virtual HDD file (not the Virtual config file*), create a new PC with the copied file, but don't forget to newsid** it.

*this is to ensure that each PC will get a different IP address, if on DHCP (the virtual NIC mac address is in the config file)

**to ensure that the SID is different between the two clients, otherwise you'll develop problems in AD.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

excellent, thats going to save me a ton of time, thanks mate.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

No worries, I forgot to say when you newsid the copied machine don't forget to also rename the machine :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

With VPC you can configure the first OS installed as a base system (call the vhd base01a.vhd for example).

Then for a new vm of the same type you should then create a differencing vhd (called xppro1,2,3...x.vhd for example).

This new vm then references the base disk but saves any changes done to the vm in the differencing disk. Doing it this way can save you a lot of disk space and a hell of a lot of installation (and copying) time.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685