Voyager 2091 problem

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Boycie, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I can connect to this wireless gateway (it issues an IP) with encryption and can ping outside the LAN but am unable to bring any web pages up.

This is the same for IE and Firefox.
    The strange thing is it has two LAN addresses; 192.168.1.1 and 212.xx.xx.xx
    2 MAC laptops can connect no problem..... The strange thing is that i can bring up the web config page of the voyager no prob.

Any ideas?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you tried connecting to any web pages via IP Address rather than DNS Name?

If you can ping outside the LAN it points to a DNS issue.

8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I`ll second that. Do you have a static DNS server configured? Try setting all the LAN settings to 'dynamic' (I assume there is a DHCP scope defined somewhere) and then repair the connection.

Is there even a proxy setup in IE\Firefox? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Having 2 IP addresses on the router is normal. One will be the interface to your local LAN, the other will be the routable address assigned by your ISP for the WAN side.

Do an ipconfig /all on the nonworking machine to see what might be missing there. If the other machines work this suggests that DNS is working generaly, but the nonworking machine may have the wrong info.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks for your help guy's, it is now working. :)

It was a bizarre problem, and one that i was thrown by changing factors.
    At first, it was only one MAC client connected all OK. Because i couldn't work out why one of the other (PC) machines wouldn't get outside the LAN, i decided to boot up the other known working MAC. This threw me because that wouldn't work either :blink .
    It would have an address assigned from the Voyager and could ping bbc.co.uk and bring up the web interface of the Voyager but nothing else.
    After a restart of the Voyager and update of the ageing driver for the RM laptop it all worked perfectly. The MAC also <started working>

Harry- When you say it is normal to have two LAN IP's, in my limited experience of SOHO setup's have only seen one. The config page of the Voyager had LAN address 192.168.1.1 Gateway 212.xx.xx.xx, Public IP 61 x x x x

In the case of my Zyxel and Netgear units, they only display a LAN IP (which is also the gateway) and public IP. Do these handle internal traffic in a different way to the Voyager?

Si

6. hbroomhall

Er - by my count that is 3 IP addresses! I would expect 2 - one for the LAN and one for the WAN. Without knowing this particular unit it is difficult to know what it was displaying.

I'd need to look at the manual and see a copy of the appropriate info page to make a guess as to what was happening.

Harry.

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

That is what i mean! As for the manual, after a quick Google i couldn't find one.

Si

8. hbroomhall

Didn't you get one with the unit? Even if only on the CD?

Harry.

9. hbroomhall

BTW - I see that an advisory has been issued against this unit. See here.

Harry.

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Harry,

I would say the <leaflet> you get with it is of little use, although it has some nice pic's (!) and the CD contains the BT software to help you set up the initial DSL connection. I did <explore> the disc hoping to find a manual, but there isn't one.

Thanks for pointing out the Security breach. I thought the sticker with the Wireless key stuck to the bottom was a daft idea on BT's behalf. Also, if you have physical access to the unit (ie can plug an ethernet cable in), it doesn't even ask you for a user/password for the config page.

I can only assume the LAN IP of 192.x.x.x and Gateway 212.x.x.x is their way of dealing with the LAN traffic in some way....

Si

11. hbroomhall

My next move would be to insist on a manual or a return/refund. I have no time for companies who don't have any decent manuals.

This is why I usualy avoid the Voyagers - all of the models I've seen have had some problems.

Harry.

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Harry,

I never have liked equipment which doesn't really follow convention , and this is what it seems like with the voyager. If it were for me, i would have ditched it and gone for a Netgear but as it all works perfectly now it would be a waste.

Thanks for your help along the way.

Si

13. hbroomhall

Ah - I hadn't realized that wasn't your own unit. :biggrin

One of the problems with the BT sourced Voyagers is that they tend to be 'modified' for BT, which makes them an absolute pig to use elsewhere. BT also have a habit of not supplying much info on them either. This is why I now recomend most people away from them.

I spent several days dealing with an 1800, which is originaly a 2wire product. I got it going only because there was a fair amount of info from 2wire on how to wrench it away from BT.

Harry.